Community, Edge, Food

Coral Gables blossoms as culinary center

map illustration-01

Consider our off-campus food options and your thoughts might not go much further than T.G.I. Friday’s, Gables Pizza & Salad, and Bagel Emporium. But UM students are lucky that campus is located in Coral Gables, not a nutritionless fast-food wasteland that is a true college town. While South Beach is South Florida’s culinary capital, Coral Gables is catching up. In the past several months, upscale restaurants with creative concepts have been popping up – many gastropubs in the mix – and they offer meals at prices that aren’t so outrageous that students can’t afford to dine somewhere new at least once a month. These are The Miami Hurricane’s top picks for new restaurants to try out.

SushiSamba Coral Gables

The SushiSamba on Lincoln Road has been a South Beach destination for more than 10 years, but now Coral Gables has one to call its own. In May, this new location opened inside of the Westin Colonnade Hotel. That means UM students can enjoy Latin-Asian fusion from a restaurant that blends three international cuisines: Brazilian, Peruvian and Japanese. Stop by during Samba Hour — 4 to 7 p.m. and 11 p.m. until closing time Monday through Friday – for cheap eats (like $7 for yellowtail taquitos with avocado and roasted corn miso) and even cheaper cocktails. Better yet, Coral Gables has something that South Beach doesn’t: breakfast starting at 7 a.m. Stumble out of bed before class and order a hearty $14 Brazilian breakfast including eggs, ham and cheese bread, linguiça pork sausage, sweet papaya and potato hash.

SushiSamba is located on 180 Aragon Ave., Coral Gables. For more information, call 305-448-4990 or visit sushisamba.com.

Swine Southern Table & Bar

The chicken-themed Yardbird restaurant was a roaring success (it was named Florida’s only Best New Restaurant in 2012 by Bon Appetit), so the 50 Eggs restaurant group thought, “Why not try it again, but with pork?” Swine is an upscale barbecue joint that opened this past March. Bacon lovers, Swine is for you. From the fried green tomato BLT featuring Heritage Acres Farm pork belly, to the Brussels sprouts  in bacon vinaigrette, these guys aren’t trying to keep things Kosher. Supper plates range from traditional pork and beans to a plate of bacon and waffles (with chilled spiced watermelon, honey hot sauce and bourbon maple syrup — whose mouth is watering?). We say, try the pulled pork Caesar. Because this isn’t Yardbird, and 50 Eggs has banned chicken in these here parts of Coral Gables. Just try it. In case You Only Swine Once.

Swine Southern Table & Bar is located on 2415 Ponce De Leon Blvd., Coral Gables. For more information, call 786-360-6433 or visit runpigrun.com. 

Bread + Butter Counter

Situated on Miracle Mile since February, here the eats are modern Cuban. At Bread + Butter, that means classics with a twist. And not a drizzle-of-truffle-oil twist. More like an “Ay dios mio!” kind of twist. We’re talking a pan con lechon served in a steamed Chinese bao bun. Whether you’re craving some Nuevo Cubano cuisine for lunch in between classes or want a Miami-style dinner after a long e-board meeting in the evening, pan con mantequilla is the way to go. Don’t forget about the weekend daytime must: el bronche. Guava mimosas, anyone?

Bread + Butter Counter is located on 2330 Salzedo St., Coral Gables. For more information, call 305-442-9622 or visit breadandbuttercounter.com.

Bulla Gastrobar

A quick trip to Spain has never been easier. Save yourself the semester. No study abroad necessary. Just a tasty tapas-style meal in Downtown Coral Gables (that unexplored part of the city that’s actually not situated along U.S. 1). The Spanish gastrobar emerged on the Coral Gables culinary scene in February, after the owners of the former Por Fin opted to try something new. Small plates include essentials like patatas bravas (which may sound familiar to 100 Montaditos enthusiasts), tortilla española (actually an omelet, not a tortilla), and albondigas (that’s Spanish for meatballs, for any monolinguals out there). Then there are ham croquettes made with top-notch Iberico ham, served alongside fig jelly. Just dig into that charcuterie platter, and let out a cry of “Boo-ya!” because you’re dining at Bulla.

Bulla Gastrobar is located on 2500 Ponce de Leon Blvd., Coral Gables. For more information, call 305-441-0107 or visit bullamiami.com. 

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...