Soccer, Sports

Canes come out strong in season opener

Different coach, same results.

The Miami women’s soccer team finished its first regular season match under new coach Mary-Frances Monroe just as it did more than half its games last year – with a shutout.

The Hurricanes scored a goal in each half to earn a 2-0 victory over Cincinnati Friday night at Cobb Stadium.

“The atmosphere was great, and we’ve been preparing for this for a while now, so we just couldn’t wait to get on the field and finally play,” said Monroe, formerly the head coach at Albany.

Miami (1-0), which split its two preseason exhibitions, had several chances in the first 10 minutes that were not converted. Meanwhile, it took Cincinnati (0-1) more than 15 minutes to record a shot on goal.

The Canes broke through in the 26th minute when sophomore forward Jasmine Peterson sent a strike from the left side of the box into the far side of the goal.

“Jasmine’s a very special player, and when she gets the opportunity to go one versus one, she’ll definitely dominate,” Monroe said. “She just has to get that encouragement to actually take a shot, and obviously when she does, she’ll score some goals.”

Senior midfielder Tara Schwitter had a goal disallowed in the 38th minute on an offside call, and junior goalkeeper Emily Lillard made a tremendous diving save on a deflected ball in the closing seconds of the first half to keep it 1-0 at the break.

In the second session, Cincinnati had more control of the game and quite a few good opportunities in the first 15 minutes. On three occasions, the Bearcats coaches called for the referee to award a penalty kick, but none were granted and the Miami defense held strong.

UM had just one shot on goal in the second half, but made the most of it. Sophomore midfielder Paige Lombard scored off a touch near the goal line in the 83rd minute, giving Miami some insurance.

Schwitter was credited with the assist. She played the ball back toward the net after it trickled out following Miami’s lone corner kick of the match.

“I just saw it bouncing out and tried to slip it in there with my right foot, and Paige did a great job coming from the top of the 18 and fought the goalie off,” Schwitter said. “It was just determination and who wanted it more.”

Monroe was pleased with her team’s performance in the season opener.

“I think second half we just needed to settle down a little bit,” Monroe said. “But I’m proud of them, even though it was a little hectic, that they were able to get a second goal in the second half.”

Alex Schwartz

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...