WVUM unveiled new transmitter

Robert Mann, the first on-air manager for WVUM, stood among several other alumni and students who partook in the ribbon-cutting ceremony for WVUM’s new transmitter last October.

Mann, who attended UM when the station was permanently launched in September 1968, worked with other students for three years to get approval from the Federal Communications Commission.

Mann said that around that time, the station could only broadcast from Kendall Drive to Downtown Miami.

“Everyone wanted contemporary when we passed out student surveys,” he said. “We played the Beatles, the Beach Boys, as well as progressive music like acid rock and underground, which is similar to what they have now. Right now, they have huge potential to reach a lot of people, learn about broadcast and be representative of the university because it is still ‘the voice’ of the University of Miami.”

The new transmitter, which has been in the making for five years and went into full power on Oct. 2, allows the station to double its range to a 30-mile radius in all directions from Coral Gables. With this upgrade, the station has the potential to reach up to 1.5 million more people, general manager Savanna Stiff said.

“We’ve always had a strong following in the Miami community, and this is a good way to give back,” said Stiff, a senior. “We get complaints all the time about people driving and then losing the signal. We’re a legit radio station. We reach thousands of people a day, and we’re happy we can reach them without our signal being shaky.”

The new transmitter is located at the top of Hecht’s Pentland tower and is the first upgrade to WVUM since 1998.

The ceremony took place  last Friday during Homecoming week. To celebrate, the station featured alumni programming and brought together several generations of WVUM alumni to honor the station’s growth.

“This was something we worked on when I was here,” said Mike Diaz, a former office manager for WVUM who graduated in 2011. “This is an important illustration of what kind of entity WVUM has become. When I was a student, I felt the station didn’t get a lot of respect and I think it’s demanding it now.”

The initial efforts to upgrade the antenna were led by UM alumnus Richard D. Buckley, a graduate in 1960. He began as a DJ at WVUM and went on to become president and CEO of Buckley Broadcasting Corporation, which includes 20 radio stations throughout the United States. After his death in 2011, Nick Verbitsky, CEO of United Stations Radio Network, took up the cause and made a donation for the new antenna.

“It was a long process to put up a new transmitter,” said Paul Driscoll, vice dean of the School of Communication and the station’s faculty advisor. “Everyone has been wonderful – alumni, donors, academic departments, Pat Whitely’s office. They never said no to the students, and that’s the most thrilling thing to me.”

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...