UMX online class to become mandatory for all new students

The once optional UM Experience course will become mandatory for new students arriving in the fall.

“Instead of 25 percent, 100 percent of students will take the course,” said Jennifer Wilson, assistant director of the Academic Resource Center (ARC).

Both freshmen and transfer students who are matriculating at UM this fall will be required to complete UMX. UMX introduces new students to the variety of opportunities and services at UM.

The course will be offered as a zero-credit class and will appear on a student’s transcript as UMX100. An additional change is that the class will be entirely online and self-paced. Students will be able to determine whether they finish the course in a month or a semester.

UMX was featured online for the first time as an online course last year. The online option was added because some students in restrictive major programs expressed a desire to take UMX but could not as a result of locked schedules.

“There were students who wanted to take the course, who due to programs, like engineering, architecture and music, could not in the traditional way,” Wilson said. “The [ARC] wanted to enhance the undergraduate experience and have all new incoming students take it.”

Other students like freshman Carlos Parra took the course because they were interested in UMX’s online format to learn more about the university.

“I think the online course allows students to know everything the campus has to offer, while giving them the freedom of choosing to finish it based on their times,” he said.

Students will be able to access the course on August 1 via UM’s Blackboard site at courses.miami.edu. The course is divided into modules with a short quiz at the end of each segment. Certain modules, such as “Living at UM,” will be available before the first day of class. All of the modules will become accessible after class begins on August 26.

Wilson recommends that students complete one module a week. Other modules involve academics, career development, campus safety, and student health and wellness.

Even if students finish the course early in the semester, they will still need to log in to the Blackboard site to respond to discussion threads and write blog posts throughout the remainder of the semester, Wilson said.

For more information on the course, contact Wilson at j.wilson3@miami.edu.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...