UMX online class to become mandatory for all new students

The once optional UM Experience course will become mandatory for new students arriving in the fall.

“Instead of 25 percent, 100 percent of students will take the course,” said Jennifer Wilson, assistant director of the Academic Resource Center (ARC).

Both freshmen and transfer students who are matriculating at UM this fall will be required to complete UMX. UMX introduces new students to the variety of opportunities and services at UM.

The course will be offered as a zero-credit class and will appear on a student’s transcript as UMX100. An additional change is that the class will be entirely online and self-paced. Students will be able to determine whether they finish the course in a month or a semester.

UMX was featured online for the first time as an online course last year. The online option was added because some students in restrictive major programs expressed a desire to take UMX but could not as a result of locked schedules.

“There were students who wanted to take the course, who due to programs, like engineering, architecture and music, could not in the traditional way,” Wilson said. “The [ARC] wanted to enhance the undergraduate experience and have all new incoming students take it.”

Other students like freshman Carlos Parra took the course because they were interested in UMX’s online format to learn more about the university.

“I think the online course allows students to know everything the campus has to offer, while giving them the freedom of choosing to finish it based on their times,” he said.

Students will be able to access the course on August 1 via UM’s Blackboard site at courses.miami.edu. The course is divided into modules with a short quiz at the end of each segment. Certain modules, such as “Living at UM,” will be available before the first day of class. All of the modules will become accessible after class begins on August 26.

Wilson recommends that students complete one module a week. Other modules involve academics, career development, campus safety, and student health and wellness.

Even if students finish the course early in the semester, they will still need to log in to the Blackboard site to respond to discussion threads and write blog posts throughout the remainder of the semester, Wilson said.

For more information on the course, contact Wilson at j.wilson3@miami.edu.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

Check out the latest issue of Hurricane Magazine, featuring stories on Canes football, basketball, s ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...