UM notches upset of top-ranked FSU, but falls in NCAA first round

It is tough to think of a regular season game bigger than the one Miami played on a Thursday night in late October.

The Hurricanes hosted the nation’s No. 1 team, which just happened to be their archrival, Florida State. It was also senior night at Cobb Stadium, and Miami needed a win to qualify for the ACC Tournament.

Led by the fantastic play of junior Tara Schwitter, Miami rose to the challenge, outplaying the top-ranked Seminoles en route to a 1-0 victory, with the lone goal coming in the 89th minute.

“It’s the first time any of these players have been to the ACC Tournament,” coach Tom Anagnost said. “I mean, we just beat the number one team in the country. The kids were fabulous. They played – they executed exactly how they’re supposed to and the effort was extraordinary, and I am as proud as I’ve been since I’ve been here, as I just told them.”

In addition to playing the nation’s No. 1 team, two UM starters – senior Ali Brennan and sophomore Maddie Simms – were suspended due to a fight during the team’s upset win over Maryland. They joined a long list of Canes who missed games this past season, mostly due to injury.

“They’ve been ready to go, and with us, we try to get them comfortable in their role and the kids have adapted really well,” Anagnost said of adjusting to new lineups this season. “If these kids are focused, and they try real hard, we’re a really good team.”

Watching how UM played the Seminoles, there was no doubting that assessment. The Canes had numerous scoring chances in the first half, including a free kick by Schwitter that drew an outstanding diving save from FSU goalkeeper Kelsey Wys, along with a header from senior Jordan Roseboro that rolled over the crossbar.

It seemed Miami might have lost its opportunity by not converting in the first session, as the second was much more even. However, UM broke through and scored the game winner with 78 seconds left. Schwitter played a through ball to freshman Ashley Flinn, who was making a run from the right side of the field and calmly slid the ball home.

“The goalie actually got a hand on it and it was rolling really slow into the goal and I was just – we were just sitting there hoping it was going to go in, and when it did, it was a great feeling,” Flinn said. “Especially with one of our seniors not able to play this last game, there was nothing the team wanted more than to give her another opportunity out on the field.”

The victory sent the Hurricanes into the ACC Tournament, the first time UM has qualified since 2008.

“Words can’t explain what it means. This is my third year, and we’ve been so close the past two years,” Schwitter said. “We’re always like right at the borderline with Virginia Tech, so it feels good to finally be a couple points ahead of them and get into the ACC Tournament.”

Miami ended up suffering a 2-1 overtime loss to Maryland in the quarterfinals of the tournament the following weekend. However, Flinn was correct in her prediction that the statement win over the Noles would be enough to secure the Canes a place in the NCAA Tournament.

The team was selected to its second consecutive tournament, but soon fell to UCF in the first round. North Carolina met Penn State in the championship match, and the Tar Heels took home the national title, 4-1.

Alex Schwartz

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...