Toppel Career Center finds new home near Pavia Garage

The Toppel Career Center plans to open its new state-of-the-art facility to University of Miami students and alumni on Aug. 26.

“I’m really excited about it,” said Christian Garcia, the executive director of the Toppel Career Center. “It’s something we’ve spent a lot of time and effort on.”

The new career center will be located behind Pavia Garage at the former site of the English Composition offices and Writing Center at 5225 Ponce de Leon Blvd.

The center will be twice the size of the original 6,000-square-f00t facility, and composed of two buildings – the North and South wings – connected by a grand lobby and an outdoor courtyard.

The North Wing will function as the technology and recruiting area. This wing features an expanded computer lab, interview labs, video conferencing rooms and an employer’s lounge.

The South Wing will house the career appointment and advising area, and a multipurpose room on the second floor.

“Everything will be integrated in terms of the latest technologies,” Garcia said. “We don’t want geography to be a barrier for students. We want to make it easier.”

The new career center cost approximately $4 million, most of which was donated by both UM alumna Patricia Toppel – who has the career center named in honor of her and her late husband, Harold Toppel – and the Parents Council, Garcia said.

Current UM students have expressed their excitement about the new career center.

“Picking and obtaining a career are not skills a student is either born with or taught in school,” senior Elan Aleman said. “Toppel is there to be the necessary and excellent source for UM students.”

Junior Max Sanchez believes that Toppel is a great source for students who are figuring out their career options after graduation. However, he said he was concerned about Toppel’s change in location. Toppel’s move away from the center of campus may hinder its ability to draw students to the center.

Garcia said he and his staff are planning to orient new students and reorient old students and alumni on the new career center. One way he hopes to catch students’ attention is through a block party during Toppel’s annual open house. The party will feature outdoor activities, tours of the building, prizes and food.

The Toppel staff will also be advertising via social media, putting banners across campus and creating “fun maps” that explain the center’s new location, Garcia said.

“I think it’s critical for students to use the career center,” he said. “Most people don’t realize it, but we’re the link between college and the real world.”

The Office of Admissions is slated to move into Toppel’s old location in the University Center. The decision to move the admissions office led to Toppel’s relocation, Garcia said.

“The university as a whole has always wanted this,” he said. “It’ll make it easier for new students and parents to find the admissions office.”

Kevin Rodriguez

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...