Toppel Career Center finds new home near Pavia Garage

The Toppel Career Center plans to open its new state-of-the-art facility to University of Miami students and alumni on Aug. 26.

“I’m really excited about it,” said Christian Garcia, the executive director of the Toppel Career Center. “It’s something we’ve spent a lot of time and effort on.”

The new career center will be located behind Pavia Garage at the former site of the English Composition offices and Writing Center at 5225 Ponce de Leon Blvd.

The center will be twice the size of the original 6,000-square-f00t facility, and composed of two buildings – the North and South wings – connected by a grand lobby and an outdoor courtyard.

The North Wing will function as the technology and recruiting area. This wing features an expanded computer lab, interview labs, video conferencing rooms and an employer’s lounge.

The South Wing will house the career appointment and advising area, and a multipurpose room on the second floor.

“Everything will be integrated in terms of the latest technologies,” Garcia said. “We don’t want geography to be a barrier for students. We want to make it easier.”

The new career center cost approximately $4 million, most of which was donated by both UM alumna Patricia Toppel – who has the career center named in honor of her and her late husband, Harold Toppel – and the Parents Council, Garcia said.

Current UM students have expressed their excitement about the new career center.

“Picking and obtaining a career are not skills a student is either born with or taught in school,” senior Elan Aleman said. “Toppel is there to be the necessary and excellent source for UM students.”

Junior Max Sanchez believes that Toppel is a great source for students who are figuring out their career options after graduation. However, he said he was concerned about Toppel’s change in location. Toppel’s move away from the center of campus may hinder its ability to draw students to the center.

Garcia said he and his staff are planning to orient new students and reorient old students and alumni on the new career center. One way he hopes to catch students’ attention is through a block party during Toppel’s annual open house. The party will feature outdoor activities, tours of the building, prizes and food.

The Toppel staff will also be advertising via social media, putting banners across campus and creating “fun maps” that explain the center’s new location, Garcia said.

“I think it’s critical for students to use the career center,” he said. “Most people don’t realize it, but we’re the link between college and the real world.”

The Office of Admissions is slated to move into Toppel’s old location in the University Center. The decision to move the admissions office led to Toppel’s relocation, Garcia said.

“The university as a whole has always wanted this,” he said. “It’ll make it easier for new students and parents to find the admissions office.”

Kevin Rodriguez

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...