Student Government to feature Freshman Council this fall

While Student Government (SG) officers work to represent the interests of students returning to campus, freshmen who will be newly arriving can also get involved.

“SG is an incredibly diverse organization, so most students can find a part of SG that meets their passions,” said SG Press Secretary Adam Orshan. “Ultimately, we want to help our fellow students succeed and explore their passions.”

This fall, SG will introduce a new program called the Freshman Leadership Council under the Executive Branch to encourage a more active freshman voice. SG Vice President Justin Borroto and two upperclassmen members will lead the council. Selected freshmen will work on various campus initiatives with other SG members, students, faculty and administration.

“The beautiful thing about coming to college is that it’s a fresh start,” Borroto said. “I had absolutely no Student Government experience before my sophomore year at UM, and there are always ways to constantly get involved.”

Freshmen who are involved in SG next fall will also have the opportunity to be paired up with an upperclassman SG mentor.

SG is comprised of six branches that are open to all students, including freshmen, regardless of their previous experience in any student government: Executive, Supreme Court, Senate, Category 5, ECO Agency and Elections Commission.

“The more energetic voices and opinions we have to formulate and execute new ideas, the better,” SG Treasurer Robert Chiste said. “Through our six dynamic branches, students from every college can find something they are very passionate about while building connections and friendships with a diverse and active group of people who share those same passions.”

Involvement in SG not only helps students diversify their experience at UM but also allows them to gain skills for the future and make memories.

“SG has helped me in more ways than I can count,” SG President Bhumi Patel said. “I’ve grown through my experiences, learned time management skills, learned to step out of my comfort zone, and my passion for the university has grown. I met some of my best friends through SG and made connections that will help me in my future.”

Borroto said that learning the inner workings of UM and doing things to make the college experience better is the best way to become a part of it.

“Being a ‘Cane isn’t about wearing green and orange while you’re here, but bleeding green and orange for life,” he said.

Students looking to get involved in Student Government can check out the “get involved” tab at miami.edu/SG or e-mail President Bhumi Patel at SGpresident@miami.edu.

Megan McCrink

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...