ROTC transforms students to leaders

Lt. Col. Paul Connor, who graduated from the University of Miami in 1993, has been working for the U.S. Air Force for 20 years.

He has been a rocket scientist and a medic; he has worked on projects involving nuclear weapons and classified data; he led humanitarian missions to Bangladesh and Timor Leste.

“They’ve got a half million to a million dollars invested in me,” Connor said. “Tell me another company that will do that for you.”

Connor spent his undergraduate years enrolled in the U.S. Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) program on campus. ROTC is a college program used by the United States armed forces to train commissioned officers.

Because Connor participated in ROTC, he was able to receive a job with the Air Force.

UM is the local host school for the Air Force’s ROTC program in South Florida, and there are currently about 85 cadets enrolled in the program. These cadets include students from UM and colleges across South Florida, such as Florida International University and Miami Dade College.

“I like the camaraderie,” sophomore Patrick Kelly said. “My closest friends are cadets.”

In order to join the program, which lasts three to four years, students need to have a minimum 2.0 GPA and pass a physical assessment, said Capt. Jeffrey Nunez, the operations flight manager of the ROTC program.

Once accepted, cadets must maintain a 2.0 GPA and participate in physical training and leadership laboratories throughout the week.

“It forces me to grow up and learn time management with such a strict schedule,” Kelly said.  “I also learn to be disciplined, because unlike regular students, I cannot go out and have fun every day.”

For senior Anne Marie Peters, classes always come first, but ROTC is a close second. Peters received an ROTC scholarship her freshman year to attend UM, which came with a commission to work for the Air Force. After she graduates in December, she will serve as a meteorologist.

“I don’t have to practice writing a resume or practice interviewing at Toppel,” she said. “I don’t have to worry about internships because ROTC is my internship.”

Most cadets who want to receive commission for a job with the Air Force must first be accepted to and then complete a month of field training at bases in Alabama and Mississippi.

During field training, cadets learn about team dynamics and leadership. If they pass field training, cadets begin to apply for jobs once they return to their schools. The most popular career is a pilot, Nunez said.

But according to Peters, graduating with a job is not the only benefit of being a cadet. The weekly leadership labs help students learn more about leadership styles and how to become better leaders.

“I thought it was really cool to see how I grew as a leader,” she said.

For Connor, ROTC prepared him for military service, which is what he wanted to do since he was a child. Connor was named after his uncle, who died in the Vietnam War.

“We don’t do what we do to get rich, or to get famous,” he said. “We do what we do because we feel this higher calling. All of this is instilled from day one.”

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opened NCAA Tournament play with a 69-62 triump ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...