Ras-Anderica ties for third at ACC Championships

Throughout the season, sophomore golfing sensation Leticia Ras-Anderica spent her time on the greens and moving up the ladder.

The talented Spaniard led the way for Miami this spring. In fact, at all three major spring tournaments Ras-Anderica finished in the top 10.

The ACC Championships in late April were no different, as Ras-Anderica finished in third with scores of 74, 72 and 75 (+8 total).

Miami also used a strong performance from Rika Park tie for fifth overall by the tournament’s close.

Awaiting Miami in Greensboro, N.C., was a strong field of nine schools from the ACC represented by 45 of the nation’s top golfers.

Breezy and overcast conditions set the stage for round one at Sedgefield Country Club, where the Duke Blue Devils looked to add to their collection of 17 ACC tournament titles.

The Blue Devils finished the opening day with a seven-stroke lead. Miami was far behind in ninth.

The race was all but over come Saturday morning, but as Duke seemed to pull away with the team lead, Miami’s squad made a jump up to seventh place.

The Canes closed out Saturday’s second round at 50-over par (618).

Impressively, Ras-Anderica recorded an eagle in each of her first two rounds.

“It felt way easier this year, the greens changed to Bermuda grass and weren’t so fast, which gave me more control on my putts,” she said.

Park started the day in 18th place, and finished in a tie for 12th with Augusta James of N.C. State.

She made a five-stroke improvement (77 to 72) from Friday to Saturday, but Miami struggled as a whole on the back nine.

“We didn’t finish how we wanted, we were in fourth with four holes to go and had a rough finish,” assistant coach John Koskinen said. “We just need to stop making careless mistakes.”

The Canes finished tied for fifth with North Carolina with team totals of 924 after all three rounds.

Overall, Duke held its lead and ended 24 strokes clear of second-place N.C. State. The Blue Devils also had four players finish in the individual top 10.

It was the second consecutive title for Duke.

The Virginia Cavaliers fell to third place after an uncharacteristically rough outing from Brittany Altomare.

Still, she finished No. 1 overall in the tournament with a 70 (two under par) on Friday, 71 on Saturday and 76 on Sunday.

Head coach Patti Rizzo sees the weekend as a step in the right direction.

“We’re really excited about this. The fifth-place finish should be enough to secure us a bid into the NCAA regional,” she said. “I’m not sure when the NCAA selection show is, but we’re all excited and looking forward to it.”

Alex Schwartz

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...