Ras-Anderica ties for third at ACC Championships

Throughout the season, sophomore golfing sensation Leticia Ras-Anderica spent her time on the greens and moving up the ladder.

The talented Spaniard led the way for Miami this spring. In fact, at all three major spring tournaments Ras-Anderica finished in the top 10.

The ACC Championships in late April were no different, as Ras-Anderica finished in third with scores of 74, 72 and 75 (+8 total).

Miami also used a strong performance from Rika Park tie for fifth overall by the tournament’s close.

Awaiting Miami in Greensboro, N.C., was a strong field of nine schools from the ACC represented by 45 of the nation’s top golfers.

Breezy and overcast conditions set the stage for round one at Sedgefield Country Club, where the Duke Blue Devils looked to add to their collection of 17 ACC tournament titles.

The Blue Devils finished the opening day with a seven-stroke lead. Miami was far behind in ninth.

The race was all but over come Saturday morning, but as Duke seemed to pull away with the team lead, Miami’s squad made a jump up to seventh place.

The Canes closed out Saturday’s second round at 50-over par (618).

Impressively, Ras-Anderica recorded an eagle in each of her first two rounds.

“It felt way easier this year, the greens changed to Bermuda grass and weren’t so fast, which gave me more control on my putts,” she said.

Park started the day in 18th place, and finished in a tie for 12th with Augusta James of N.C. State.

She made a five-stroke improvement (77 to 72) from Friday to Saturday, but Miami struggled as a whole on the back nine.

“We didn’t finish how we wanted, we were in fourth with four holes to go and had a rough finish,” assistant coach John Koskinen said. “We just need to stop making careless mistakes.”

The Canes finished tied for fifth with North Carolina with team totals of 924 after all three rounds.

Overall, Duke held its lead and ended 24 strokes clear of second-place N.C. State. The Blue Devils also had four players finish in the individual top 10.

It was the second consecutive title for Duke.

The Virginia Cavaliers fell to third place after an uncharacteristically rough outing from Brittany Altomare.

Still, she finished No. 1 overall in the tournament with a 70 (two under par) on Friday, 71 on Saturday and 76 on Sunday.

Head coach Patti Rizzo sees the weekend as a step in the right direction.

“We’re really excited about this. The fifth-place finish should be enough to secure us a bid into the NCAA regional,” she said. “I’m not sure when the NCAA selection show is, but we’re all excited and looking forward to it.”

Alex Schwartz

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...