Rachel Maddow sat down with Shalala

President Donna E. Shalala got to pick the brain of one of America’s sharpest political commentators.

UM students and hundreds of other attendees gathered at the Fieldhouse last March for a conversation with MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow.

Maddow has hosted “The Rachel Maddow Show” on MSNBC since 2008, where she is revered as much for her quick wit as her roots in political activism.

Shalala asked questions about everything from the importance of studying humanities to the possibility of reinstituting the military draft.

Students lined up toward the end of the session to ask questions of their own.

Maddow – a Stanford graduate who also won a Rhodes Scholarship to Oxford – stressed philosophy, statistics and classics among her subjects of greatest value.

“To read philosophy, you need a mathematical, rigorous approach to understanding language,” Maddow said.

She is adamant that strong writing and the ability to present an argument are major assets in today’s world.

“We need to be investing in the humanities. It’s skills that we need as a country,” she said.

The event was hosted by Books & Books to promote “Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power,” which spent five weeks atop the bestseller list when Maddow released the hardcover edition last year.

In her book, Maddow analyzes the changing nature of war, and how the U.S. has seemingly come to accept being in perpetual conflict.

On the subject of politics, Maddow lamented that political rhetoric between parties might not improve.

She suggested that the U.S. House, for example, is hindered during elections by the “crazy gerrymandered system where representatives only have to talk to the people on their side.”

Her book illustrates the need for change in the way Americans approach national security.

“We underestimate people’s passion for the issue,” she said. “People do care.”

Spencer Dandes

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...