Kiteboarders fly high

Imagine pulling off the stunts you mastered on a wakeboard 33 feet in the air without the assistance of a boat or a ramp, relying solely on wind conditions and your ability to steer a kite. For thrill-seekers looking for an adrenaline rush or want to try something new, UM’s two-year old kiteboarding club is open to all students. Kiteboarding is a combination of surfing, wakeboarding and windsurfing. “The possibilities are endless. You can do huge, 50-foot jumps, ride waves with a surfboard and hit rails,” senior Thomas Fields, the club’s vice president The sport may appear intimidating and dangerous to some people, but Fields thinks differently. “Kiteboarding actually is a very safe sport as long as you take lessons from a qualified instructor who will take the time to teach you all of the important safety tips,” he said. Avid kiteboarders Ivan Zorn, Nico Cuetara, Ian McKeown and Thomas Fields were practicing at Crandon Park during the fall of 2010 when they came up with the idea to start a kiteboarding club on campus.  The club became recognized by COSO in the spring of 2010. “Kiteboarding can be a relatively expensive sport to learn with lessons in Miami costing upwards of $100-$150 per hour,” Fields said.“We wanted to give students access to one of the world’s most exciting and fastest-growing sports.” To join, students pay an annual $40 due and attend a mandatory beach day or kite night where they receive a free introductory lesson from the club. After, Students can begin their training  at Kite Shop Miami, which offers lessons for $20 an hour to club members. The Kite Shop also provides all of the necessary equipment for lessons. However, members are encouraged to purchase their own equipment once they have completed their lessons.  Beginners tend to buy used gear from around $600 to $900. A common misconception about the sport is the need for muscles and strength to guide the kite, said Zorn, senior and president of the club. “You definitely should know how to swim, but being strong is not that important,” he said. “You are connected to the kite with a harness that will hold your body weight when riding. All you need to do is steer the board with your legs and the kite with your arms.” Senior Jessica Reed feels this is important for girls to consider as well. “Girls always think that they won’t be able to kiteboard, but every girl who has tried it has been able to do it, and they don’t want to stop,” she said. From these 40 member practices, Fields hopes to make kiteboarding a long-term goal and work with professional sponsors. He is already a professional rider for North Kiteboarding, a retail brand for kiteboarding equipment and apparel. “Kiting is a major part of my life, and it has given me amazing opportunities,” Fields said. “After I finish my degree this year, I’m planning on working with sponsors to be able to travel the world for a few years, competing on the world tour, writing and being involved with travel magazines, and promoting the sport. Interested in giving kiteboarding a shot? Check out the University of Miami Kiteboard Club’s Facebook page or send an email to ukiteboarding@gmail.com.

Carly Smith

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...