Hip-hop dance group thrives on ‘swagger’

The members of KAOS see hip-hop dancing as more than a passion. Being part of a dance group gives them an escape from the pressures of school and jobs.

“We all have this connection to dancing even though we’re such different people; we come together and have fun,” said sophomore Emily Brudner, president of the student organization.

The co-ed KAOS holds auditions for new members at the beginning of each semester. The number of dancers they take varies. Last semester, they admitted four new members.

The Executive Board and the general members of KAOS discuss and decide who can join the group.

The group’s leaders, like senior Maria Coronado, are not only interested in dance skills.

“There is a certain stage presence and style that makes someone stand out,” she said.

Junior Natalie Goenaga believes that members should have a certain attitude.

“Don’t be nervous, and just be yourself at auditions. KAOS looks for dancers who love to have a good time, have attitude and swagger, as silly as that sounds,” she said.

Coronado has been a member of KAOS for four years.

She has danced ballet and tap since the age of 3. KAOS has been a way for her to continue dancing, get a workout in and forget about school for two hours twice a week.

“I know that once I graduate, I won’t be able to perform and do things like this so I’m enjoying it while I can,” she said.

KAOS has been a registered student organization since 1995.

Although the student organization has a faculty adviser, currently Connie Nickel, the members are mainly responsible for organizing the club’s events and meetings.

Each semester, they produce a fall or spring showcase before finals week with about 16 different dances.

“You really get to know the other members because the week before showcase, we always practice several hours a day, every day,” Coronado said.

The name KAOS is a secret acronym that only group members know, and only find out once they have completed their first showcase. They also receive nicknames given to them by the other members.

KAOS performs at other occasions besides the end-of-semester showcases. They have danced at Greek Week opening ceremonies and the Organized-Cheer event (O-Cheer) during Homecoming.

There is no cost to join KAOS, but students are required to audition at the onset of each semester.

Bailey Murray

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...