High school partnership opened doors

Going to college was something most students took for granted, but for many people, college was seen as an unattainable dream.

The University of Miami Office of Civic and Community Engagement bridged the gap between traditionally underserved high school students and UM students to promote a college-going atmosphere.

“All the students who have participated have all seen a tremendous impact on their lives,” said Robin Bachin, assistant provost for civic and community engagement. “It’s a significant experience for them to the point of completely changing their plans for graduate school, or their career after seeing the tremendous benefit their enthusiasm can bring to our community.”

The Southridge High School Partnership brought together high school students, teachers and UM undergraduates to provide innovative lectures and enhance the public school curriculum.

The program finished its second year and is looking forward to expanding its reach next semester.

The program accepts history or English majors who will be paired with a teacher at Southridge High School.

The student will assist in promoting a college-going culture by translating what they are learning in their classes to practical classroom learning for high school students.

Because it has been a success for all the key stake holders, the program will be expanding next semester to Booker T. Washington High School and will include STEM subjects, Bachin said.

English and history are a semester long commitment and worth three credits.

The STEM program will be a one-year commitment and will be worth six credits.

As part of the program, students present three guest lectures, coordinate with the teacher to enhance three lessons plans, meet with the teacher five times to discuss the curriculum and mentor the students during class.

“For UM students, this is eye-opening,” Bachin said. “It forces them to know and understand what they are studying in order to make it compelling for high school students.”

The program focused on English and history because literacy and writing skills are essential to the college admissions and handling the workload.

Senior Shane Owens worked at Southridge with sophomore English honors students and studied Edgar Allen Poe with them.

“I think that the humanities and the social sciences are less about translating data or knowledge, but about teaching a way of reading, writing and thinking,” Owens said. “In subjects like English and history, there’s not the issue of a knowledge gap, it’s an experience gap. The interactive nature of learning these subjects means you can take a college student like me with a group of high school students, and we can have a mutual learning process.”

Bachin hopes UM students will get involved with the program and realize the rewards of investing their time.

“I hope they understand they bring tremendous value to our community at large and their intellectual mindset and passion for learning is not just for personal gain, but can be translated to classrooms as well to serve some larger civic purpose,” she said.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...