FunDay celebrated its 30th anniversary

Pair up 300 special needs citizens with more than 600 university students and you’ve got yourself a record-setting and historic FunDay.

FunDay is the longest standing service tradition at the University of Miami, and it celebrated a milestone this year: its 30th anniversary.

With the number of students preregistered for FunDay as of Wednesday, this was also the biggest.

“You’ve got bounce houses, dunk tanks, karaoke, photobooths, BBQ – it’s  a lot of fun,” FunDay Vice-Chair Lisa Cameron said.

FunDay brings together special needs citizens with a range of circumstances, from autism spectrum disorder to physically disabilities, for a day of partnered friendship with the university students on campus.

“It’s about friendship, fun, having an open mind and opening yourself up to a new experience,” FunDay Chair Amanda Corey said.

According to Corey, about 150 of the special needs citizens, or buddies, come from the Wayside Baptist Church community and the rest from group homes and the University of Miami-Nova Southeastern University Center for Autism Related Disabilities.

Special needs citizens were brought to Stanford Circle and then split up into several groups and joined by the UM students to share a carnival-like experience.

The FunDay staff guided the buddies from Stanford Circle to the Rock, where they enjoyed the activities at six different stations designed around the theme “30 Years of Fun in the Sun.”

“We’ve stuck with the theme this year and will be having things from coconut bowling to hula hoop lessons,” Cameron said.

Additional stations included arts and crafts and dance therapy. They were manned by students in other organizations partnering with FunDay.

“We’re going to have about 12 to 13 different organizations that will have their own booth, including Greek Life, which always plays a big role,” Corey said.

One of the collaborative events was a Hawaiian club performance in line with the luau theme.

The Butler Center for Service and Leadership plays a key role in these on-campus and off-campus collaborations, according to public relations coordinator Mike Piacentino.

“We predominantly have helped with the funding, resources such as printing fliers, weekly direct advising, the planning process, logistics and reservations,” Piacentino said.

Not only has the Butler Center been a resource for FunDay since its own inception, but FunDay predates the Butler Center itself.

“We’ve had a really good foundation from the beginning,” Corey said. “Our sponsors, and the reality that it’s a UM tradition, now have really played a key role in sustaining this event.”

FunDay has become a defining event for service at the university, but for the visiting buddies, it is just as important.

“I can’t even imagine having to break to them that there wouldn’t be a FunDay next year,” Cameron said. “Some of the them have been coming since they were kids and now they’re adults.”

Sam Abbassi

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...