Equestrian rider finds second home on the runway

When she’s not in class, junior Claire Fisher can often be found on a fashion runway or perched atop a saddle at Tally Ho Farms.

Fisher, 20, is a political science major with minors in broadcast journalism, theatre arts and modern languages. For a relaxing yet competitive outlet, the Miami native has been a member of UM’s Equestrian Club for the last three years. It’s no big surprise for someone who’s been riding horses since age 8.

But her other off-campus venture is a budding modeling career. Fisher was “discovered” on Lincoln Road, also when she was 8. She took a break from modeling in middle school, but returned to it once she arrived at UM. Last summer, Fisher participated in Splashion, which kicked off the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Swim Week in Miami Beach.

“It really breaks you out of your shell when you’re walking on a runway and more than 1,000 people are watching you, especially when you’re in a bathing suit,” she said.

Horseback riding gives Fisher a different kind of adrenaline fix. During the equestrian season, which is September to November and January to March, she participates two or three times a month.

“You train so much for months and months, you drive for hours, and then you’re there in the ring for 30 seconds,” she said. “The pressure is insane.”

Her friends say Fisher can handle it.

“Claire can keep her cool under the pressure,” teammate Cat Schulz said. “It’s like you wouldn’t even know she was nervous under her helmet.”

UM’s club has traveled to places such as the Savannah College of Art and Design, the College of Charleston and Georgia South University.

Aside from competitions, Fisher also takes private lessons twice a week like most of her teammates. Unfortunately, her packed schedule left her no time for upkeep or caring for her horses. So, she made the tough decision to sell them.

“One of the hardest moments of my life has been having to accept the fact that I was losing two animals that I’d loved and owned for five years of my life,” Fisher said.

She has done well in equestrian competitions. Last year, she qualified for regionals. There she placed first and won grand champion, and from was then the only female from UM to qualify for Zones. At Zones, she placed seventh in two competitions at Virginia Intermont College.

She continues to set high goals for herself.

“Next year I’m really hoping to qualify for nationals,” she said. “We haven’t had someone competing there from UM in a very long time.”

Fisher doesn’t plan to stop there. The Olympics weigh heavy on her mind.

“Hopefully I’ll be able to go after I graduate, once I can take riding more seriously,” she said.

Bailey Murray

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...