Drive-ins feature free movies

Hurricane Productions is going to new heights to entertain UM students by screening movies at the top of the Pavia Garage.

In February, HP, the Cinematic Arts Commission and Canes Night Live will hosted UM’s first drive-in movie on campus.

Students were invited to the top floor of Pavia to watch a Disney classic, “Hercules,” while munching on free Incredible Kettle Corn, a popular staple at Wednesday’s Farmers Market.

“A drive-in movie is something you hear about, but something you never really see,” HP chair John Lake said. “Bringing one to campus and letting people have this experience is something they’re not going to get anywhere else.”

Lake said the group had discussed the idea of a drive-in but had trouble with the logistics. But thanks to the recent addition to the top of Pavia, the extra parking area will now provide the needed space.

“The last time I went to a drive-in was when I was really little, but I remember loving the environment,” sophomore Alyssa Federico said. “That’s why I was so excited when I heard we were having one on campus. My friends and I are already planning to take my car.”

Similar to HP’s “dive-in” movie held at the UC pool each fall, this spring’s drive-in has the potential to become an annual event.

Elyse Mowle, chair of the Cinematic Arts Commission, has found success in showing Disney movies.

“Disney movies get our biggest audience,” Mowle said. “Everyone wants to see them.”

The HP planning team chose a Thursday night screening because they did not want people to have to go out of their way to attend the event, especially commuter students, since the Association of Commuter Students is copromoting the event.

There will be room for an estimated 50 to 75 cars.

There will be a seating area for students without cars and they are encouraged to bring blankets or chairs.

Before the movie started, there was also an episode of Nickelodeon’s “Rugrats.”

Speakers and an FM transmitter were provided in order to hear the movie.

Skylar Frisch

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opened NCAA Tournament play with a 69-62 triump ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...