Dan Marino WalkAbout benefitted local charities

Participants of last January’s WalkAbout Autism walked through the team tunnel at Sun Life Stadium with Dan Marino, former Miami Dolphins quarterback, to benefit organizations in South Florida.

Schools, groups and individuals in the South Florida community congregated at Sun Life Stadium to raise money and awareness for autism – a disease that affects one in 88 children.

The Dan Marino Foundation (DMF) – along with the University of Miami-Nova Southeastern University Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (UM-NSU CARD) and the Autism Society of America chapters in Broward and Miami-Dade counties – organize, execute and benefit from the WalkAbout.

The walk was inspired by leading advocacy agencies that desired to raise money for local programs and services, according to Dr. Michael Alessandri, the executive director of UM-NSU CARD.

“It is always very gratifying to see so many families come out to celebrate autism awareness and raise funds for needy organizations,” he said. “Having the event at Sun Life Stadium is also very exciting because our families can walk on the field and enjoy the stadium from a different perspective than usual.”

Clinical staff at UM-NSU CARD offer support to patients with autism and autistic-like diseases, along with their families at the Flipse building. Their services include family support, technical assistance and consultation, parent and professional training programs, and public education activities, according to the Center’s website.

Schools that participate receive 25 percent of the funds they raise for their own special needs programs, according to Amanda Murray, a spokesperson for UM-NSU CARD.

“As budgets continue to get cut further and further across the state of Florida, this really helps to give back to the needs of each school,” she said.

124 schools were registered and helped to reach the walk’s overall goal of $500,000. Another registered team was the brothers of UM’s Beta Theta Pi fraternity.

The fraternity has fundraised for autism since its inception in 2006 and has worked closely with the DMF since 2010 when the WalkAbout was first established.

“Autism isn’t the national Beta cause. It’s something that we chose to do ourselves,” said junior Kyle Dungca, who served as Beta’s co-PR chair. “We saw that it wasn’t on campus and we wanted to address that somehow.”

The WalkAbout Autism is one of many philanthropy events put on by the fraternity that stresses the importance of giving back to the local community, according to junior Troy Gulec, Beta’s social chair.

“It’s in this community, and that’s what I think all of us should do philanthropy-wise: support local Miami,” he said.

Jordan Coyne

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...