Cuban blogger paints picture of Cuba

Freshman Daniela Lorenzo immigrated to the United States from her hometown, Havana, Cuba, at the age of 6.

“My parents wanted my little sister and I to have a good future, something hard to get in Cuba because of the government,” Lorenzo said.

Lorenzo, who now serves as the secretary for the Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos, or the Federation of Cuban Students (FEC), was among the few students and members of the student media who had the opportunity to sit down and speak to Cuban dissident blogger Yoani Sanchez at a private event held at the University of Miami’s Cuban Heritage Collection (CHC), located within the Richter Library.

Sanchez’s visit was part of her 80-day international tour. She answered questions from the group and spoke about the lack of information and news within Cuba. Sanchez also took a tour of the CHC, which has an extensive collection of nearly 50,000 books and documents on Cuba.

“Information to me is like a breath of fresh air,” said Sanchez, whose blog on Cuba is titled the “Generacion Y” blog.

Lorenzo, who was the first person to ask Sanchez a question, was excited to be a part of the event.

“It was an honor to meet her. I was familiar with her before and admired her strength and courage she had to speak up against injustices,” Lorenzo said. “I also admire her passion for spreading knowledge and information, something Cubans are unfortunately often deprived of.”

Lorenzo expressed warm sentiments about the meeting.

“She’s so down to earth and well-spoken, that I learned a lot from the short amount of time she was here,” Lorenzo said.

Junior Elan Aleman, who serves as the vice president of FEC, also enjoyed Sanchez’s visit. Though he was not born in Cuba, his family is Cuban.

“I felt like it was a curtain lifting as to the reality down in Cuba,” he said. “I know the stories that are spun by politicians and the exaggerations from the exiles that either don’t remember or never witnessed the reality of the situation under the Castro regime.”

Aleman appreciated hearing her take on the state of Cuba.

“She brought a genuine and honest illustration of the contradictions between what is said and what actually is,” he said.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...