Cuban blogger paints picture of Cuba

Freshman Daniela Lorenzo immigrated to the United States from her hometown, Havana, Cuba, at the age of 6.

“My parents wanted my little sister and I to have a good future, something hard to get in Cuba because of the government,” Lorenzo said.

Lorenzo, who now serves as the secretary for the Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos, or the Federation of Cuban Students (FEC), was among the few students and members of the student media who had the opportunity to sit down and speak to Cuban dissident blogger Yoani Sanchez at a private event held at the University of Miami’s Cuban Heritage Collection (CHC), located within the Richter Library.

Sanchez’s visit was part of her 80-day international tour. She answered questions from the group and spoke about the lack of information and news within Cuba. Sanchez also took a tour of the CHC, which has an extensive collection of nearly 50,000 books and documents on Cuba.

“Information to me is like a breath of fresh air,” said Sanchez, whose blog on Cuba is titled the “Generacion Y” blog.

Lorenzo, who was the first person to ask Sanchez a question, was excited to be a part of the event.

“It was an honor to meet her. I was familiar with her before and admired her strength and courage she had to speak up against injustices,” Lorenzo said. “I also admire her passion for spreading knowledge and information, something Cubans are unfortunately often deprived of.”

Lorenzo expressed warm sentiments about the meeting.

“She’s so down to earth and well-spoken, that I learned a lot from the short amount of time she was here,” Lorenzo said.

Junior Elan Aleman, who serves as the vice president of FEC, also enjoyed Sanchez’s visit. Though he was not born in Cuba, his family is Cuban.

“I felt like it was a curtain lifting as to the reality down in Cuba,” he said. “I know the stories that are spun by politicians and the exaggerations from the exiles that either don’t remember or never witnessed the reality of the situation under the Castro regime.”

Aleman appreciated hearing her take on the state of Cuba.

“She brought a genuine and honest illustration of the contradictions between what is said and what actually is,” he said.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...