Complex housed hurricane simulator

RSMAS construction continues. Luisa Andonie // Contributing Photographer

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science was able to experience the hurricane season all year long.

RSMAS’s newest building, the Marine Technology and Life Sciences Seawater Complex, will feature the only existing complex to have the power to generate Category 5 hurricane winds. The complex is housed in the Surge Structure Atmosphere Interaction (SUSTAIN) research facility that focuses on the study of wind’s effects on land and sea.

“There’s things we can do in a lab to isolate different effects that you just can’t do in nature,” said Brian Haus, the principal investigator in the SUSTAIN component.

The ability to have these winds was an incredible advantage, according to graduate student Michelle Wilson who studies meteorology. Recreating Category 5 winds will help forecasters prepare for these kinds of storms.

“This societal benefit is a big thing in hurricane research,” she said.

For Wilson, modeling the effects of storm surge from these winds will be just as important. Storm surge is the build-up of water that the storm drags until hitting the coastline. Storm surge was the primary reason for Sandy’s disastrous effects in the Northeast, especially New York City.

While existing marine science facilities, such as those of Pennsylvania State University and Oregon State University, are large-scale and sophisticated, these could only serve as general references, since they are completely different in their function. These current facilities lack SUSTAIN’s specialized wind component.

Though the structure of the building was completed, additional work must be done on the state-of-the-art interior. A few months remain in leading up to the scheduled September completion.

Other than RSMAS’s own smaller existing building, the project lacked a predecessor, meaning that the project required rigorous pre-testing and modeling to design a structure that could sustain such extreme forces.

Approximately one-third of the funds needed to realize the project, $15 million were awarded by the National Institute of Standards and Technology as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act when RSMAS won a competition in late 2009.

With SUSTAIN, the new building will also have another facility called The Marine Life Sciences Center for the study of marine organisms.

With a space designed for housing and studying marine animals, such as fish and corals, the complex will allow for the observation of wild life in a controlled environment, where variables can be closely monitored. The building will focus mostly on research but will also be aimed at education and teaching.

While the facility is scientific in its function, its applications are multi-disciplinary. The overarching theme is that of understanding human interactions with nature whether it involves the wind or the sea.

Junior Abby Page believes that current scientific research needs to focus on this advancement.

“We’re learning that everything we’ve done has an impact,” she said. “You can’t study one without the other, humans and their environment.”

The building’s aesthetics suit these varied functions with easier access to the water.

“It will change the whole way the campus is laid out,” Haus said.

Luisa Andonie

Day Two of spring practice began at about 9 a.m. or thereafter on Wednesday at the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Prosecutors have released video that shows ex-University of Miami star running back Mark Walton snat ...

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

The University of Miami's Raheem Chambers was named the ACC Men's Outdoor Track Performer ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...