Campus joined relief effort for Sandy victims

In October, Hurricane Sandy hammered the Northeast, causing more than 100 deaths and $20 billion in damage.

Senior Briana Ciraulo’s home in Long Island Beach, N.Y., was flooded with four feet of water. Several of her friends’ houses burnt down in electrical fires caused by downed power lines.

“My aunt is seven months pregnant with a one-year-old child, and her house is destroyed,” Ciraulo said.

The hardest part for Ciraulo was being separated from her family throughout the crisis, she said.

“It’s hard to watch my family suffer up there,” she said. “But I’m lucky enough no one was hurt. Materials are just materials. They can be replaced.”

Senior Mike Anderson was visiting his family during fall break, but got stuck in Columbia, Md., when his flight back to Miami was canceled.

“The storm was probably the worst storm I’ve ever been in – really windy, really rainy, really intense,” he said. “I’ve never been in a major hurricane.”

Anderson was able to fly back two days later.

“I was definitely worried about school,” he said. “I missed an exam in one class, and the professor was nice enough to let me make it up.”

Sophomore Brandon Brasky’s family also lives in Long Island, but only lost a few trees in the storm.

“There’s nothing they really had to do afterwards,” he said. “We lost one tree, but a landscaper saved the others.”

In the wake of what became commonly known as “Superstorm Sandy,” the UM community made strides to help those affected by the storm.

According to Patricia Whitely, vice president for student affairs, the university emailed students from the Northeast to see if they needed any help.

“If people need any support, any counseling, any situation, we are there to help,” she said.

The university partnered with United Way of Miami Dade to raise money. All donations made to United Way’s Operation Helping Hands went to victims of the storm.

Whitely also said the administration would support any organization that wants to fundraise.

Last week, Ciraulo held a small fundraiser on her own and collected more than $500.

“I wanted to get my mind of off things but still help people,” Ciraulo said.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...