Campus joined relief effort for Sandy victims

In October, Hurricane Sandy hammered the Northeast, causing more than 100 deaths and $20 billion in damage.

Senior Briana Ciraulo’s home in Long Island Beach, N.Y., was flooded with four feet of water. Several of her friends’ houses burnt down in electrical fires caused by downed power lines.

“My aunt is seven months pregnant with a one-year-old child, and her house is destroyed,” Ciraulo said.

The hardest part for Ciraulo was being separated from her family throughout the crisis, she said.

“It’s hard to watch my family suffer up there,” she said. “But I’m lucky enough no one was hurt. Materials are just materials. They can be replaced.”

Senior Mike Anderson was visiting his family during fall break, but got stuck in Columbia, Md., when his flight back to Miami was canceled.

“The storm was probably the worst storm I’ve ever been in – really windy, really rainy, really intense,” he said. “I’ve never been in a major hurricane.”

Anderson was able to fly back two days later.

“I was definitely worried about school,” he said. “I missed an exam in one class, and the professor was nice enough to let me make it up.”

Sophomore Brandon Brasky’s family also lives in Long Island, but only lost a few trees in the storm.

“There’s nothing they really had to do afterwards,” he said. “We lost one tree, but a landscaper saved the others.”

In the wake of what became commonly known as “Superstorm Sandy,” the UM community made strides to help those affected by the storm.

According to Patricia Whitely, vice president for student affairs, the university emailed students from the Northeast to see if they needed any help.

“If people need any support, any counseling, any situation, we are there to help,” she said.

The university partnered with United Way of Miami Dade to raise money. All donations made to United Way’s Operation Helping Hands went to victims of the storm.

Whitely also said the administration would support any organization that wants to fundraise.

Last week, Ciraulo held a small fundraiser on her own and collected more than $500.

“I wanted to get my mind of off things but still help people,” Ciraulo said.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ You know when you will know the Hurricanes are really bac ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...