Campus joined relief effort for Sandy victims

In October, Hurricane Sandy hammered the Northeast, causing more than 100 deaths and $20 billion in damage.

Senior Briana Ciraulo’s home in Long Island Beach, N.Y., was flooded with four feet of water. Several of her friends’ houses burnt down in electrical fires caused by downed power lines.

“My aunt is seven months pregnant with a one-year-old child, and her house is destroyed,” Ciraulo said.

The hardest part for Ciraulo was being separated from her family throughout the crisis, she said.

“It’s hard to watch my family suffer up there,” she said. “But I’m lucky enough no one was hurt. Materials are just materials. They can be replaced.”

Senior Mike Anderson was visiting his family during fall break, but got stuck in Columbia, Md., when his flight back to Miami was canceled.

“The storm was probably the worst storm I’ve ever been in – really windy, really rainy, really intense,” he said. “I’ve never been in a major hurricane.”

Anderson was able to fly back two days later.

“I was definitely worried about school,” he said. “I missed an exam in one class, and the professor was nice enough to let me make it up.”

Sophomore Brandon Brasky’s family also lives in Long Island, but only lost a few trees in the storm.

“There’s nothing they really had to do afterwards,” he said. “We lost one tree, but a landscaper saved the others.”

In the wake of what became commonly known as “Superstorm Sandy,” the UM community made strides to help those affected by the storm.

According to Patricia Whitely, vice president for student affairs, the university emailed students from the Northeast to see if they needed any help.

“If people need any support, any counseling, any situation, we are there to help,” she said.

The university partnered with United Way of Miami Dade to raise money. All donations made to United Way’s Operation Helping Hands went to victims of the storm.

Whitely also said the administration would support any organization that wants to fundraise.

Last week, Ciraulo held a small fundraiser on her own and collected more than $500.

“I wanted to get my mind of off things but still help people,” Ciraulo said.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...