Campers splashed into spring break

On the shores of Miami Beach, 27 staff members and 12 campers take to the waves last March to put their surfing skills to the test during the University of Miami-Nova Southeastern University’s Center for Autism and Related Disabilities’ (UM-NSU CARD) Surf Camp.

The annual program located at South Pointe Park hosts 12 children between the ages of 8 and 12 who have autism. These high- and low-functioning children spend the week of their spring break learning how to surf.

Of the 7,000 families at CARD, these 12 children are selected after going through an interview process to evaluate their ability to thrive on their own without familiar faces.

“This is a camp to focus on their abilities, instead of their disabilities,” said Maricarmen Saleta, an educational specialist at UM-NSU CARD who helped plan the program in 2007.

After meeting Michael Alessandri, executive director of CARD, Saleta moved to Miami in 2005 and began working for him at UM-NSU CARD. In 2007, Julio Magrisso, assistant director of the recreation division for the city of Miami Beach, saw a documentary about a similar camp in California for children with disabilities. Immediately inspired, he contacted Alessandri, who passed the project on to Saleta, and the two groups began co-planning the camp.

The weeklong program, funded by the Autism Society of Miami and private sponsors acquired at CARD’s annual “Tropical Nights” fundraiser, is free to campers and their families.

The program first took place in 2008 and hosted two sessions. However, each year since, they have only been able to offer one session because of funding.

The city already had a summer Surf Camp organized for ordinary kids, so it was easy to adapt the same staff and instructors for CARD’s program, said Edith Guerra, a Miami-Beach Parks and Recreation Supervisor who has worked for the camp since its inception.

Guerra feels that the camp is an opportunity for everyone to recognize the true potential of the kids, regardless of their disabilities.

“When you get a chance to see the parents see what they’re children have learned, they’re just so surprised,” she said. “They think, ‘I never thought my child would be able to do something like this.’”

The children enjoy it as much as the parents.

“I feel happy,” said 10-year-old camper Jake Stempel when asked about his surfing experience.

Jack Ruderman, a 9-year-old camper, agreed.

“I do it because I like to surf and … I have a lot a friends,” he said.

In the future, CARD and Miami Beach are talking about expanding the recreational activities to other sports, according to Guerra. In addition to the surf program, CARD already hosts soccer and tennis programs.

Saleta hopes more children will be able to participate in this rewarding experience.

“It’s an amazing experience for these kids,” she said. “It’s amazing to see their face when they get up on the board.”

Jordan Coyne

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...