Band members recorded soundtrack for film

The Frost Band of the Hour transformed from students to stars last October, when Universal Pictures came to UM’s campus to record the band members playing the main title for the upcoming  movie “Despicable Me 2.”

The song will play during the opening title sequence. The feature film is a sequel to the 2010 animated comedy “Despicable Me.”

Pharrell Williams, the soundtrack’s producer, was interested in using a marching band for his project. He presented the Band of the Hour with this opportunity by contacting Shelton Berg, dean of the Frost School of Music.

Pharrell has worked with the Henry Mancini Institute, a part of the Frost School of Music, in the past. Thomas Keck, the director of the Band of the Hour, suspects this is the reason Pharrell chose the UM band.

Junior Gabrielle Thompson, one of the band’s drum majors, said she was grateful for the opportunity.

“Obviously we’re not the biggest marching band in the country,” she said. “It shows that our marching band is someone. We’re not completely off the radar.”

The hour-and-a-half recording session took place in Gusman Hall, featuring  the Band of the Hour along with additional students from the Frost School.

The 150 musicians on the recording stage ranged from pre-med students seeking a music performance degree to freshmen who joined the band just for fun.

The recording session not only involved student performers but Frost faculty. While Pharrell produced the music, Stephen Guerra, a jazz lecturer at UM, arranged it for the marching band. Paul Griffith, UM’s director of recording services, was the recording engineer at the session. And Sam Pilafian, one of UM’s newest professors, produced the session.

“The overall professionalism of the group was key in creating a big, powerful sound,” Keck said.

“The mentality of just going through a recording session, whether you’re a rock band or a marching band, forces you to focus on details,” Keck said. “It was interesting to watch and hear the band be that much more concentrated on what they were doing.”

For many of the students, the recording experience reaffirmed their belief that a future in the music industry is possible. Drum major Wyatt Jenkins, a sophomore majoring in music performance, said that the opportunity to work with Hollywood professionals proved that success is just a step away.

“We have so many good music programs in the United States and to pick the University of Miami is huge,” Jenkins said. “To gain this exposure into Hollywood makes us a part of the bigger picture now.”

Jordan Coyne

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...