Alumna climbs ladder to VP of MTV Networks

University of Miami alumna Michelle Alberty’s journey to MTV began with a karaoke night in Miami.

“We set up a karaoke night at a local bar and had to promote it all throughout Miami to fundraise for our trip to a major advertising conference in New York City, where we were exposed to some of the best ad agencies in the country,” she said.

At UM, Alberty served as the president of the Ad Club, where she was able to develop her advertising and leadership skills. Alberty used her experiences at UM, like the karaoke night initiative, to build the right career in television production.

Since graduating in 1993, Alberty has climbed the ranks at MTV Networks Latin America to become the vice president of production management and executive in charge of production. She has worked there for 16 years.

Alberty’s responsibilities include financial and budget tracking, working with creative teams in original productions and promotions, and strategizing with the different brand heads of Viacom. Viacom’s media properties target Hispanics through their channels: VH1, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and MTV channels.

“My favorite part of my job is working with producers, seeing that creative idea come to life, and being a part of that collaborative and creative process,” she said. “I love being a part of the media industry.”

Alberty leads various production management teams located in Mexico City, Mexico; São Paulo, Brazil; and Buenos Aires, Argentina. In addition to these teams, she is involved in the creation of long-form novellas and short-form, on-air promotions, like MTV’s globally popular “Unplugged” series.

From her beginnings at UM to running the operational logistics and financials of Viacom’s channels in Latin America, she has never forgotten what tools UM gave her to succeed.

“UM helped build my confidence by giving me a lot of hands-on experience to know what it was like to work,” she said. “They prepared me to be a confident leader and gave me the experience to feel comfortable in the ‘real world.’”

As a double major in advertising and psychology with a minor in marketing, Alberty began her journey with the intention of working in the advertising world. She landed an internship at the Beber Silverstein Group, an advertising firm. But the experience only led her to become interested in the world of television production.

A broadcast producer recommended Alberty to intern at Filmworks, a commercial production company, the next summer. She did, and the company hired her right after her graduation from UM.

After years of working in commercial and music video production, Alberty was then hired as a production manager for MTV Networks Latin America’s on-air promotions and special productions.

“I was a good communicator and loved planning,” Alberty said. “They saw my skills, and I quickly moved up to director of production and eventually the vice-president position.”

Alberty advises students that real-world experience is the best way for students to get ahead and decide their post-graduate lives.

“Definitely get your feet wet in a professional environment by interning every summer,” Alberty said. “Intern in different companies in related fields to learn more and divert a little bit. I diverted, and I’m happy.”

Daniel Cepero

Multimedia Editor

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D in Durham, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Adria Soriano Barrera begins competition in the singles draw Monday at 5 p.m. with a contest against ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...