V's Take

Dear V: My ex-classmate is trying to Snapchat his way into my heart…

A couple of weeks ago, I accidentally Snapchatted a classmate from last semester — who I didn’t even have as a friend on Snapchat! I was super embarrassed. Then he actually responded and we’ve since started Snapchatting regularly, to my surprise, because we rarely talked during the semester. It’s gotten slightly flirty, but he just graduated, so it’s not like he’ll be back in Miami anytime soon. I don’t see this going anywhere. I’ve been in a similar situation before, and I only ended up hurting the guy. What am I supposed to do?

Snapchats Getting Serious

Dear Vanessa Hudgens,

First of all, these things are rarely ever accidental so stop kidding yourself. Also, I don’t think there’s an option to send Snapchats to people who aren’t your friends unless you try really hard to type in their names. You probably had some secret, latent, burning desire to see this kid’s face again that manifested itself through a drunken, duck faced Snapchat.

I also dearly hope that most, if not all, of these pictures are G-rated. As in strictly from the neck up, without any sort of funny innuendo to be derived from the stupid paintbrush option that the creators of this wonderful app decided to bestow upon us.

That being said, flirting is always fun. And if you’re not sending anything incriminating that could end up haunting you for the rest of your life, I say enjoy it. Depending on your what your definition of “slightly flirty” is, I don’t think this could end up hurting him. To be brutally honest, he’s probably not thinking too much into this. No serious thing could sprout from back and forth face pics. The fact that he responded is always a good sign but if he knows, and you know, that he’s not coming back any time soon, then you are definitely not heading down the yellow brick road of relationships.

If I were you I would enjoy my youth, flirt with this guy, and go out and kiss some strangers in Miami Beach. It’s time for summer lovin’, baby and nobody’s looking to get serious.

Have your friends hold your phone next time you’re drunk.

Toodles,

Advice Columnist

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...