University reps, NCAA gather for official hearing

Nearly three years into an alleged improper benefits investigation that shook the UM community and athletic department, the NCAA is finally forming a verdict.
President Donna E. Shalala, football coach Al Golden and other university representatives gathered in Indianapolis on June 14 for the official hearing.
But the scandal has proved troublesome for Miami, rogue booster Nevin Shapiro and the NCAA alike.
The governing body itself was mired in controversy several months back, when members of the NCAA enforcement staff who sought information about the alleged rampant misconduct at UM had to face questions about their own unethical behavior.
The NCAA placed its investigation into the Miami athletic department on hold, and turned its attention to the association’s own staff.
Several former employees apparently worked with the criminal defense attorney for Shapiro to obtain information during an unrelated bankruptcy proceeding. Shapiro, who said he doled out thousands of impermissible benefits to several dozen athletes, prompted the NCAA’s investigation in the first place.
The NCAA does not have subpoena power, meaning the information it gained through Shapiro’s attorney would not have been otherwise accessible.
“To say the least, I am angered and saddened by this situation,” NCAA President Mark Emmert said in a teleconference at the time. “Trust and credibility are essential to our regulatory tasks. My intent is to ensure our investigatory functions operate with integrity and are fair and consistent with our member schools, athletics staff and most importantly our student-athletes.”
Similarly, UM President Donna E. Shalala released a statement to express her discontent.
“Since the University first alerted the NCAA to the possibility of violations more than two years ago, we have been cooperative and compliant with the NCAA and, I believe, a model for how institutions should partner with NCAA staff during investigations,” the statement read. “I am frustrated, disappointed and concerned by President Emmert’s announcement today that the integrity of the investigation may have been compromised by the NCAA staff.”
The university received its notice of allegations from the NCAA Feb. 20, as did former Hurricanes coaches who violated ethical conduct rules during their time at the school.
Despite the dismissal of a reported 20 percent of the evidence against Miami – including interviews with two close acquaintances of  Shapiro – the school was charged with a lack of institutional control.
The NCAA enforcement committee was found to have improperly obtained the aforementioned evidence, a lapse in protocol Emmert called “an embarrassment to the association and our staff.”
Miami had 90 days to officially respond to its notice of allegations.
Shalala remained steadfast throughout that the university should face no further punitive measures.
“We have worked hard to improve our compliance oversight, and we have already self-imposed harsh sanctions,” Shalala said in a statement, referring to two football bowl game forfeitures and several scholarship reductions. “We deeply regret any violations, but we have suffered enough.”
Plus, the university went on the offensive, calling into question the legitimacy of an NCAA investigation that lacked integrity and thoroughness.
“Most of the sensationalized media accounts of Shapiro’s claims are found nowhere in the notice of allegations,” Shalala said. “The fabricated story played well – the facts did not.”
The NCAA Committee on Infractions will likely take six to eight weeks to reach a verdict and hand out penalties. Visit themiamihurricane.com for the latest on this investigation as more information becomes available.

June 21, 2013

Spencer Dandes

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opened NCAA Tournament play with a 69-62 triump ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...