Team extends unrivaled postseason streak

The Canes are working on two different streaks: One is historic, the other disappointing.
In making the NCAA regionals this past May, the Miami baseball team extended its unrivaled postseason streak to 41 years. But the Canes fizzled at the Louisville regional, and missed the College World Series for a fifth straight season.
Miami (37-25) was the second seed behind host Louisville (46-12), and joined third seed Oklahoma State (39-17) and fourth seed Bowling Green (24-29). The Hurricanes had an all-time record of 116-41 in the first round of the postseason, although they were 0-2 as hosts of the Coral Gables regional in 2012.
Interestingly, five ACC schools were selected to host regionals this season: Florida State, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia and Virginia Tech.
The Canes made the trip without head coach Jim Morris, who was hospitalized for pneumonia during the ACC Tournament in North Carolina the previous week. Morris was under the care of doctors at Duke since May 25, and assistant Gino DiMare took over his coaching responsibilities.
Things looked promising when Miami dominated Oklahoma State 7-0 in the first game, but ultimately it was the Cowboys who prevailed 7-1 in an elimination game June 2.
“I thought we would be ready to play,” DiMare said. “The wheels fell off there. We couldn’t get anything going offensively.”
Starting pitcher Andrew Suarez (3-6) took the loss. It was an abrupt end to a mediocre season, at least by Hurricanes standards.
“Overall we just didn’t play well. That’s kind of been our mantra all year – we’ve been inconsistent,” DiMare said.
Miami will return plenty of key players, including All-American and first-team All ACC pitcher Bryan Radziewski. The Miami native led the Canes with nine wins and several highlight-reel outings, including a 16-strikeout performance against Virginia Tech.
“Coming off of surgery, it is an incredible blessing to receive such a prestigious honor,” said Radziewski, who had a shoulder injury in 2012. “It’s a testament to the hard work I put in and the faith I had in the offseason.”

June 21, 2013

Spencer Dandes

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...