Team extends unrivaled postseason streak

The Canes are working on two different streaks: One is historic, the other disappointing.
In making the NCAA regionals this past May, the Miami baseball team extended its unrivaled postseason streak to 41 years. But the Canes fizzled at the Louisville regional, and missed the College World Series for a fifth straight season.
Miami (37-25) was the second seed behind host Louisville (46-12), and joined third seed Oklahoma State (39-17) and fourth seed Bowling Green (24-29). The Hurricanes had an all-time record of 116-41 in the first round of the postseason, although they were 0-2 as hosts of the Coral Gables regional in 2012.
Interestingly, five ACC schools were selected to host regionals this season: Florida State, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia and Virginia Tech.
The Canes made the trip without head coach Jim Morris, who was hospitalized for pneumonia during the ACC Tournament in North Carolina the previous week. Morris was under the care of doctors at Duke since May 25, and assistant Gino DiMare took over his coaching responsibilities.
Things looked promising when Miami dominated Oklahoma State 7-0 in the first game, but ultimately it was the Cowboys who prevailed 7-1 in an elimination game June 2.
“I thought we would be ready to play,” DiMare said. “The wheels fell off there. We couldn’t get anything going offensively.”
Starting pitcher Andrew Suarez (3-6) took the loss. It was an abrupt end to a mediocre season, at least by Hurricanes standards.
“Overall we just didn’t play well. That’s kind of been our mantra all year – we’ve been inconsistent,” DiMare said.
Miami will return plenty of key players, including All-American and first-team All ACC pitcher Bryan Radziewski. The Miami native led the Canes with nine wins and several highlight-reel outings, including a 16-strikeout performance against Virginia Tech.
“Coming off of surgery, it is an incredible blessing to receive such a prestigious honor,” said Radziewski, who had a shoulder injury in 2012. “It’s a testament to the hard work I put in and the faith I had in the offseason.”

June 21, 2013

Spencer Dandes

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...