Team extends unrivaled postseason streak

The Canes are working on two different streaks: One is historic, the other disappointing.
In making the NCAA regionals this past May, the Miami baseball team extended its unrivaled postseason streak to 41 years. But the Canes fizzled at the Louisville regional, and missed the College World Series for a fifth straight season.
Miami (37-25) was the second seed behind host Louisville (46-12), and joined third seed Oklahoma State (39-17) and fourth seed Bowling Green (24-29). The Hurricanes had an all-time record of 116-41 in the first round of the postseason, although they were 0-2 as hosts of the Coral Gables regional in 2012.
Interestingly, five ACC schools were selected to host regionals this season: Florida State, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia and Virginia Tech.
The Canes made the trip without head coach Jim Morris, who was hospitalized for pneumonia during the ACC Tournament in North Carolina the previous week. Morris was under the care of doctors at Duke since May 25, and assistant Gino DiMare took over his coaching responsibilities.
Things looked promising when Miami dominated Oklahoma State 7-0 in the first game, but ultimately it was the Cowboys who prevailed 7-1 in an elimination game June 2.
“I thought we would be ready to play,” DiMare said. “The wheels fell off there. We couldn’t get anything going offensively.”
Starting pitcher Andrew Suarez (3-6) took the loss. It was an abrupt end to a mediocre season, at least by Hurricanes standards.
“Overall we just didn’t play well. That’s kind of been our mantra all year – we’ve been inconsistent,” DiMare said.
Miami will return plenty of key players, including All-American and first-team All ACC pitcher Bryan Radziewski. The Miami native led the Canes with nine wins and several highlight-reel outings, including a 16-strikeout performance against Virginia Tech.
“Coming off of surgery, it is an incredible blessing to receive such a prestigious honor,” said Radziewski, who had a shoulder injury in 2012. “It’s a testament to the hard work I put in and the faith I had in the offseason.”

June 21, 2013

Spencer Dandes

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The Miami Hurricanes football coaching staff is officially complete. UM announced Friday that Taylor ...

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

Check out the January edition of the University of Miami's e-magazine. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 2-0 on the young season after securing a ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first doubleheader of the season Saturday in ...