Team extends unrivaled postseason streak

The Canes are working on two different streaks: One is historic, the other disappointing.
In making the NCAA regionals this past May, the Miami baseball team extended its unrivaled postseason streak to 41 years. But the Canes fizzled at the Louisville regional, and missed the College World Series for a fifth straight season.
Miami (37-25) was the second seed behind host Louisville (46-12), and joined third seed Oklahoma State (39-17) and fourth seed Bowling Green (24-29). The Hurricanes had an all-time record of 116-41 in the first round of the postseason, although they were 0-2 as hosts of the Coral Gables regional in 2012.
Interestingly, five ACC schools were selected to host regionals this season: Florida State, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia and Virginia Tech.
The Canes made the trip without head coach Jim Morris, who was hospitalized for pneumonia during the ACC Tournament in North Carolina the previous week. Morris was under the care of doctors at Duke since May 25, and assistant Gino DiMare took over his coaching responsibilities.
Things looked promising when Miami dominated Oklahoma State 7-0 in the first game, but ultimately it was the Cowboys who prevailed 7-1 in an elimination game June 2.
“I thought we would be ready to play,” DiMare said. “The wheels fell off there. We couldn’t get anything going offensively.”
Starting pitcher Andrew Suarez (3-6) took the loss. It was an abrupt end to a mediocre season, at least by Hurricanes standards.
“Overall we just didn’t play well. That’s kind of been our mantra all year – we’ve been inconsistent,” DiMare said.
Miami will return plenty of key players, including All-American and first-team All ACC pitcher Bryan Radziewski. The Miami native led the Canes with nine wins and several highlight-reel outings, including a 16-strikeout performance against Virginia Tech.
“Coming off of surgery, it is an incredible blessing to receive such a prestigious honor,” said Radziewski, who had a shoulder injury in 2012. “It’s a testament to the hard work I put in and the faith I had in the offseason.”

June 21, 2013

Spencer Dandes

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...