Team extends unrivaled postseason streak

The Canes are working on two different streaks: One is historic, the other disappointing.
In making the NCAA regionals this past May, the Miami baseball team extended its unrivaled postseason streak to 41 years. But the Canes fizzled at the Louisville regional, and missed the College World Series for a fifth straight season.
Miami (37-25) was the second seed behind host Louisville (46-12), and joined third seed Oklahoma State (39-17) and fourth seed Bowling Green (24-29). The Hurricanes had an all-time record of 116-41 in the first round of the postseason, although they were 0-2 as hosts of the Coral Gables regional in 2012.
Interestingly, five ACC schools were selected to host regionals this season: Florida State, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia and Virginia Tech.
The Canes made the trip without head coach Jim Morris, who was hospitalized for pneumonia during the ACC Tournament in North Carolina the previous week. Morris was under the care of doctors at Duke since May 25, and assistant Gino DiMare took over his coaching responsibilities.
Things looked promising when Miami dominated Oklahoma State 7-0 in the first game, but ultimately it was the Cowboys who prevailed 7-1 in an elimination game June 2.
“I thought we would be ready to play,” DiMare said. “The wheels fell off there. We couldn’t get anything going offensively.”
Starting pitcher Andrew Suarez (3-6) took the loss. It was an abrupt end to a mediocre season, at least by Hurricanes standards.
“Overall we just didn’t play well. That’s kind of been our mantra all year – we’ve been inconsistent,” DiMare said.
Miami will return plenty of key players, including All-American and first-team All ACC pitcher Bryan Radziewski. The Miami native led the Canes with nine wins and several highlight-reel outings, including a 16-strikeout performance against Virginia Tech.
“Coming off of surgery, it is an incredible blessing to receive such a prestigious honor,” said Radziewski, who had a shoulder injury in 2012. “It’s a testament to the hard work I put in and the faith I had in the offseason.”

June 21, 2013

Spencer Dandes

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...