Live the high life with rock climbers

Florida isn’t exactly known for its rocky terrain, but the University of Miami has a well-established rock climbing club.
Senior Drew Hughes, the club president, has been involved with the club since high school.
“I am a commuter student so this was a great way to branch out and meet new people,” he said.
Hughes enjoys rock climbing because it is a fairly laid back sport that also provides an intense workout. Climbing works out muscles in both the arms and legs and because it is a strategic sport, it stimulates the brain.
Frankie Pereda, a recent graduate, joined the club during his junior year to try something new. He was able to balance climbing with a rigorous engineering class load and commitment to marching band.
He still enjoys climbing even though he is no longer a student.
“For me, rock climbing is the best way to work out,” he said. “It works everything. It is fun, engaging and keeps me interested.”
The club has about 70 active members, and no experience is necessary to join. Lessons are included in the club dues so that new students can learn to climb, and experienced students can improve their skills.
“We accommodate everyone from green to veteran,” Hughes said about the club’s open membership.
Another opportunity afforded to club members is rock climbing competition. The club competes with other Florida schools including FSU, UF, UCF and USF.
The different schools visit each other’s home gym and the students attempt to complete a planned course. Judges watch participants and declare a winner based on how far the climbers progress and how frequently they fall. Hughes is trying to generate more interest in competition because the University of Miami has a comparatively small team.
“Competitions are a good opportunity for people to pass what they thought they could do,” Hughes said.
The club also takes trips to places like Alabama and Kentucky so students can experience climbing on natural rock features.
Al Rose, the faculty advisor for the club, has made rock climbing a friendly affair.
When a student is climbing, another student will belay, or hold the rope attached to the harness so members get to know each other.
“It’s just fun,” Rose said. “A lot of friendships are developed.”
The club meets Fridays at 5 p.m. and carpools from Mahoney Residential College to X-Treme Rock Climbing, an indoor facility that was once an aircraft hangar.
Membership dues are $50 per semester or $90 for the year, which allows students to climb anytime on their own.
The first climb is free.

June 21, 2013

Victoria Hernandez

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been fascinated with Japan and its culture. Parti ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

A University of Miami engineering faculty member discusses how California’s infrastructure fared dur ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...