Live the high life with rock climbers

Florida isn’t exactly known for its rocky terrain, but the University of Miami has a well-established rock climbing club.
Senior Drew Hughes, the club president, has been involved with the club since high school.
“I am a commuter student so this was a great way to branch out and meet new people,” he said.
Hughes enjoys rock climbing because it is a fairly laid back sport that also provides an intense workout. Climbing works out muscles in both the arms and legs and because it is a strategic sport, it stimulates the brain.
Frankie Pereda, a recent graduate, joined the club during his junior year to try something new. He was able to balance climbing with a rigorous engineering class load and commitment to marching band.
He still enjoys climbing even though he is no longer a student.
“For me, rock climbing is the best way to work out,” he said. “It works everything. It is fun, engaging and keeps me interested.”
The club has about 70 active members, and no experience is necessary to join. Lessons are included in the club dues so that new students can learn to climb, and experienced students can improve their skills.
“We accommodate everyone from green to veteran,” Hughes said about the club’s open membership.
Another opportunity afforded to club members is rock climbing competition. The club competes with other Florida schools including FSU, UF, UCF and USF.
The different schools visit each other’s home gym and the students attempt to complete a planned course. Judges watch participants and declare a winner based on how far the climbers progress and how frequently they fall. Hughes is trying to generate more interest in competition because the University of Miami has a comparatively small team.
“Competitions are a good opportunity for people to pass what they thought they could do,” Hughes said.
The club also takes trips to places like Alabama and Kentucky so students can experience climbing on natural rock features.
Al Rose, the faculty advisor for the club, has made rock climbing a friendly affair.
When a student is climbing, another student will belay, or hold the rope attached to the harness so members get to know each other.
“It’s just fun,” Rose said. “A lot of friendships are developed.”
The club meets Fridays at 5 p.m. and carpools from Mahoney Residential College to X-Treme Rock Climbing, an indoor facility that was once an aircraft hangar.
Membership dues are $50 per semester or $90 for the year, which allows students to climb anytime on their own.
The first climb is free.

June 21, 2013

Victoria Hernandez

At 9:17 p.m. Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz, who these days doubles as a Hur ...

With just 14 more shopping days before National Signing Day, here’s where the Hurricanes stand with ...

Manny Diaz’s coaching staff for the Miami Hurricanes is finally set. Less than three weeks after he ...

There’s at least a chance this might not be the final season watching a Wade perform on a large Sout ...

The one major hole missing on Manny Diaz’s staff until Friday was the lockdown ace recruiter. The ne ...

A large area of low pressure and arctic air swirling above the North Pole fractured and split into t ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Daevenia Achong of the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team reeled in a pair of ACC accolades, as a ...

University of Miami sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera, ranked No. 21 on the Oracle/ITA singles list, g ...

Following a one-week absence, the Miami women's basketball team reentered the top 25 of the USA ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...