Intramurals, club sports engage students in competition

There are 471 scholarship student-athletes at the University of Miami, constituting about 3 percent of the school’s population. These student-athletes compete at the highest level of college sport in the United States.
But that doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t play our favorite sports at the University of Miami.
Through club sport programs and intramural competitions, students can compete in a variety of sports at differing levels of competition. The wellness center offers 34 different club sports and numerous intramural competitions throughout the year.
The primary difference between club and intramural sports is the time commitment.
Whereas club sports typically last all year and offer different levels of competition, intramurals last for only a few weeks at a more intense level.
Most club sports will allow any student to practice with the team during their scheduled practice days. They sometimes compete with other teams around the country.
Last year, the Quidditch club was ranked second out of the 66 teams in the nation, and the sailing team is among the nation’s best every year.
“Club sports provide an opportunity for the zealous amateur or the recreational dilettante to pursue his passion with like-minded enthusiasts,” said Louis Cai, president of the Table Tennis club team. “The aura of positivity and camaraderie ignites the desire to improve, and consequently, many of our clubs compete at a high level.”
The variety of club sports at Miami, which includes unique sports like aikido – a form of Japanese self defense – continues to grow.
Ballroom dancing, boxing, kiteboarding, Quidditch and Tai chi will enter their first full year of existence this fall.
“The new club sports add another dimension to our current club sports and give the UM students more options on how to spend their free time,” said Connie Nickel, assistant director of club sports.
From flag football to bench-pressing contests, intramurals provide other fun and exciting ways to stay active and connect with the UM community.
“Its all about creating relationships, not just with your team, but with the other teams, the officials, and the referees,” said Tom Soria, assistant director of intramurals. “We strive to find the healthy balance between intense competition and sportsmanship.”
Champions of the intramurals tournaments receive prizes like Hurricane apparel, and the winner of the annual intramural golf tournament wins a spot in the NIRA national tournament in Las Vegas.
“You hear a lot of trash talk out in the IM fields,” Soria said of the competitive intramural atmosphere. “I play in the flag football leagues and everyone tries to gun me down.”
To sign up for intramural sports or for any additional information on the different club sports or intramural leagues, visit the membership office on the second floor of the wellness center.

June 21, 2013

Gabriel Ibrahim

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...