Intramurals, club sports engage students in competition

There are 471 scholarship student-athletes at the University of Miami, constituting about 3 percent of the school’s population. These student-athletes compete at the highest level of college sport in the United States.
But that doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t play our favorite sports at the University of Miami.
Through club sport programs and intramural competitions, students can compete in a variety of sports at differing levels of competition. The wellness center offers 34 different club sports and numerous intramural competitions throughout the year.
The primary difference between club and intramural sports is the time commitment.
Whereas club sports typically last all year and offer different levels of competition, intramurals last for only a few weeks at a more intense level.
Most club sports will allow any student to practice with the team during their scheduled practice days. They sometimes compete with other teams around the country.
Last year, the Quidditch club was ranked second out of the 66 teams in the nation, and the sailing team is among the nation’s best every year.
“Club sports provide an opportunity for the zealous amateur or the recreational dilettante to pursue his passion with like-minded enthusiasts,” said Louis Cai, president of the Table Tennis club team. “The aura of positivity and camaraderie ignites the desire to improve, and consequently, many of our clubs compete at a high level.”
The variety of club sports at Miami, which includes unique sports like aikido – a form of Japanese self defense – continues to grow.
Ballroom dancing, boxing, kiteboarding, Quidditch and Tai chi will enter their first full year of existence this fall.
“The new club sports add another dimension to our current club sports and give the UM students more options on how to spend their free time,” said Connie Nickel, assistant director of club sports.
From flag football to bench-pressing contests, intramurals provide other fun and exciting ways to stay active and connect with the UM community.
“Its all about creating relationships, not just with your team, but with the other teams, the officials, and the referees,” said Tom Soria, assistant director of intramurals. “We strive to find the healthy balance between intense competition and sportsmanship.”
Champions of the intramurals tournaments receive prizes like Hurricane apparel, and the winner of the annual intramural golf tournament wins a spot in the NIRA national tournament in Las Vegas.
“You hear a lot of trash talk out in the IM fields,” Soria said of the competitive intramural atmosphere. “I play in the flag football leagues and everyone tries to gun me down.”
To sign up for intramural sports or for any additional information on the different club sports or intramural leagues, visit the membership office on the second floor of the wellness center.

June 21, 2013

Gabriel Ibrahim

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...