Boxing club hooks in newcomers, veterans

Sometimes you just want to punch somebody in the face. Dozens of students get that chance every week at the UM boxing club.
In 1960, the NCAA dropped boxing as a sport, and it subsequently disappeared from campus. But in the last two years, UM boxing has returned as an official club sport with a considerable following.
Longtime boxers and newcomers in search of an alternative workout visit the Wellness Center twice a week to join the club.
“Since the reinstatement of the boxing club, students have responded positively,” Club President Teresa Browning said. “After CaneFest, we had more than 100 students come out to see what it was all about. Through the semester, the number has declined … but members who come out now and try it out usually keep coming back time after time.”
The club, which now has around 45 paying members, focuses on fundamentals and technique, creating a demanding workout.
Typical sessions also include individual exercises that target all parts of the body, such as push-ups, lunges and core training.
Later, they dive into boxing exercises like punching, bobbing, weaving and slipping techniques.
Mickey Demos Jr., a former champion who now trains at the Biscayne Boxing and Fitness Club, leads the way at each practice.
Students usually team up with partners, using gloves and mitts to work on punch combinations.
Practices are held from 9:15 to 10:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays in Multipurpose Room B at the Wellness Center.
Junior Mark Agate joined the club a few weeks ago because he liked the convenience of learning to box right on campus.
“I got tired of my usual weight-lifting routine and wanted to try something new,” he said. “[Boxing] is a great cardio workout, which is what I tend to lack.  It’s also very enjoyable to learn something new that doesn’t revolve around a textbook and academics.”
Other members bring considerable experience to the club. Freshman Mladen Milovic has been boxing since his sophomore year in high school. He said the sport delivers “endless” benefits.
“Mentally, boxing instills a sense of self-confidence and determination,” Milovic said. “The physical benefits of boxing are incredible … Constant arm fatigue helps build muscle memory and definition. Your abs become much stronger, and in turn your core as a whole becomes strong.  It is essentially the perfect whole body workout.”
For students with the desire and skills to go to the next level, there is also a UM boxing team. To make the cut, a student typically attends club practices first, where a coach may recognize his or her competitive potential.
The boxers then work with Demos Jr. or another coach to improve their sparring and prepare them for matches.
Demos Jr. won seven state titles as an amateur boxer in Florida, as well as four Junior Olympic gold medals. He began teaching the sport at the age of 15.
Miami’s boxing club and team have memberships in two leagues, the Florida Collegiate Boxing Conference and the United States Intercollegiate Boxing Association. Through the FCBC, the club competes against schools around the state including FSU, UF and FIU.
Member dues are $25 each semester, which includes free training at Biscayne Boxing and Fitness Club.
Team sessions are at 7:30 p.m. on Mondays, 6:30 p.m. on Wednesdays and 8:30 p.m. on Fridays.
“I would recommend the UM boxing club to other students because it’s really the best of both worlds,” Milovic said.  “You get to make great friends who share a passion for this sport with you, and you get in the best shape of your life.”

June 21, 2013

Michael R. Davis

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...