Academics, News

School of Architecture dean to step down in July

Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, dean of the School of Architecture, announced that she will step down from her post effective July 1.

She has served as dean for almost two decades and has been a faculty member since 1983. She is known for her commitment to use design to resolve community problems and improve sustainability.

Plater-Zyberk

Plater-Zyberk

Associate Dean Denis Hector will serve as acting dean until a successor is named. A search committee for the dean’s successor is still to be appointed, according to the “e-Veritas” newsletter sent Wednesday. The newsletter is produced by the University of Miami communications department.

“Amidst a daunting 24/7/365 schedule, she maintained a collegial and open personal style, constantly engaging students and faculty in community advocacy both within and beyond the University,” Hector said in the newsletter. “Her role in shaping the school can’t be overstated, and I am sure that she will continue to contribute in ways that challenge current thinking and open new avenues of inquiry. I am honored to have been a part of her legacy.”

According to the newsletter, Plater-Zyberk changed architectural education at the University of Miami by focusing on a curriculum involving “New Urbanism,”  an urban design movement which promotes the creation of walkable, mixed-use communities that offer a variety of jobs and housing options. She co-founded the Congress of New Urbanism, with a charter that sets forth the key tenets of the movement. It was launched in 1992.

Plater-Zyberk developed programs at the School of Architecture that related to New Urbanism, such as the master’s degree in Real Estate Development and Urbanism. That degree blends the disciplines of architecture, business and law.

The former dean will continue working with the School of Architecture as a faculty member.

“I am grateful for the positive and stimulating group of colleagues with whom I have shared the dean’s work,” she said to “e-Veritas.” “It has been a genuinely enjoyable experience to collaborate daily with staff and faculty members dedicated to the betterment of the lives of the students, each other, and the larger community. I plan to intensify my focus on built-environment adaptation to climate change in South Florida, returning to teach with an agenda for exploration and research to share with students.”

June 20, 2013

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ You know when you will know the Hurricanes are really bac ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

The Miami track and field program is set to compete at the Tom Jones Memorial meet this weekend for ...

The No. 24 Hurricanes welcome ACC Coastal division foe Virginia Tech for a three-game series beginni ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...