Edge, Music, Q & A + Profiles

Lenka talks new album, tour, lullabies

Singer-songwriter Lenka’s new album, “Shadows,” comes out Tuesday and the singer plans to promote it while touring the U.S.

The Miami Hurricane got the chance to chat with Lenka about her new album, her inspirations and what she does when she tours.

TMH:  Your newest album “Shadows” comes out June 4. What would you say is the theme of the album?

L: It’s a reflective album and it’s kind of meant to be like lullabies for adults like an album meant to fall asleep to and to dream to.

TMH: Which track on the album is your favorite and why?

L: Oh, nobody asked me that yet. Today it’s “No Harm Tonight” because it really is a nice lullaby and it’s really similar to what I would want to hear right now.

TMH: Could you explain that?

L: Oh, well because I’ve got a little baby so I don’t get very much sleep and I’m kind of wanting that nice soothing thing and I guess it’s something that I’d want to say to him as well. It was kind of written for him. They’re all special though; they’re all my babies.

TMH: “Faster With You” seems to be about being apart from someone you love. What inspired that song?

L: Yes, it is. I wrote that one a few years ago actually when me and my then boyfriend ,who is now my husband, and I were in different continents and it was when I had first came to L.A. to start working on my music career and it just sort of felt like I was so connected to him while I was over there and that connection was kind of slowing me down. I felt like I couldn’t really live in the moment or that life wouldn’t go on properly anymore until we were back together. And that song actually, it is quite a long song. Its recording is older as well and it’s the main song that set time for the record musically.

TMH:  What is the one thing you always have to have with you while you’re on tour?

L: There’s quite a few things. The gadgets like my Kindle, iPhone, etc. Stage props, products. But I think in this day and age the most important thing is your communication device. That would be my No. 1 thing now, a way to be able to phone home and video chat.

THM:  Which do you enjoy more: the creative process of putting together an album or performing live shows?

L: I prefer the studio more. I like performing but it’s such an awesome feeling creating something new. I think that that would probably win even though performing live you do have the buzz of that audience connection which is very special too.

TMH: As a songwriter do you think about what kind of messages you want to put out there when you’re writing, or is it more of a personal form of self expression for you?

L: I think two are the same thing for me, I do want to put out specific messages but it’s also for myself as well I use it to sort of give myself some therapy to work out my issues [laughs]. And at the same time it’s like I’m hopefully doing the same thing for the listener.  I usually have an intention in mind. Like with this album I had the intention of it being a lullaby album and that’s what’s present in a lot of the song-writing process.

TMH:  On “Shadows,” you collaborated with a former band member of Decoder Ring. If you could collaborate with any artist out there who would it be?

L: David Bowie or Tom White. I mean yeah, Prince, I’m not really up for the pop collaborations so much as the absolute legends that I would get to work with so it’s really just a fantasy.

TMH: Unfortunately your tour doesn’t have any stops in Miami. Do you have any plans to perform in Miami in the near future?

L: No not in Miami, I would like to I’m just not doing a comprehensive tour right now because of the baby but yeah I guess It always depends on whether there’s a strong enough fanbase so hopefully there are people out there . I’ll come and perform at your school [laughs].

TMH: Come and do the Homecoming. That would be awesome!

L: Yeah, that would be very fun.

For more information on Lenka and her album, visit lenkamusic.com

June 3, 2013

Ashley Zimmerman

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...