Edge, Music, Q & A + Profiles

Lenka talks new album, tour, lullabies

Singer-songwriter Lenka’s new album, “Shadows,” comes out Tuesday and the singer plans to promote it while touring the U.S.

The Miami Hurricane got the chance to chat with Lenka about her new album, her inspirations and what she does when she tours.

TMH:  Your newest album “Shadows” comes out June 4. What would you say is the theme of the album?

L: It’s a reflective album and it’s kind of meant to be like lullabies for adults like an album meant to fall asleep to and to dream to.

TMH: Which track on the album is your favorite and why?

L: Oh, nobody asked me that yet. Today it’s “No Harm Tonight” because it really is a nice lullaby and it’s really similar to what I would want to hear right now.

TMH: Could you explain that?

L: Oh, well because I’ve got a little baby so I don’t get very much sleep and I’m kind of wanting that nice soothing thing and I guess it’s something that I’d want to say to him as well. It was kind of written for him. They’re all special though; they’re all my babies.

TMH: “Faster With You” seems to be about being apart from someone you love. What inspired that song?

L: Yes, it is. I wrote that one a few years ago actually when me and my then boyfriend ,who is now my husband, and I were in different continents and it was when I had first came to L.A. to start working on my music career and it just sort of felt like I was so connected to him while I was over there and that connection was kind of slowing me down. I felt like I couldn’t really live in the moment or that life wouldn’t go on properly anymore until we were back together. And that song actually, it is quite a long song. Its recording is older as well and it’s the main song that set time for the record musically.

TMH:  What is the one thing you always have to have with you while you’re on tour?

L: There’s quite a few things. The gadgets like my Kindle, iPhone, etc. Stage props, products. But I think in this day and age the most important thing is your communication device. That would be my No. 1 thing now, a way to be able to phone home and video chat.

THM:  Which do you enjoy more: the creative process of putting together an album or performing live shows?

L: I prefer the studio more. I like performing but it’s such an awesome feeling creating something new. I think that that would probably win even though performing live you do have the buzz of that audience connection which is very special too.

TMH: As a songwriter do you think about what kind of messages you want to put out there when you’re writing, or is it more of a personal form of self expression for you?

L: I think two are the same thing for me, I do want to put out specific messages but it’s also for myself as well I use it to sort of give myself some therapy to work out my issues [laughs]. And at the same time it’s like I’m hopefully doing the same thing for the listener.  I usually have an intention in mind. Like with this album I had the intention of it being a lullaby album and that’s what’s present in a lot of the song-writing process.

TMH:  On “Shadows,” you collaborated with a former band member of Decoder Ring. If you could collaborate with any artist out there who would it be?

L: David Bowie or Tom White. I mean yeah, Prince, I’m not really up for the pop collaborations so much as the absolute legends that I would get to work with so it’s really just a fantasy.

TMH: Unfortunately your tour doesn’t have any stops in Miami. Do you have any plans to perform in Miami in the near future?

L: No not in Miami, I would like to I’m just not doing a comprehensive tour right now because of the baby but yeah I guess It always depends on whether there’s a strong enough fanbase so hopefully there are people out there . I’ll come and perform at your school [laughs].

TMH: Come and do the Homecoming. That would be awesome!

L: Yeah, that would be very fun.

For more information on Lenka and her album, visit lenkamusic.com

June 3, 2013

Ashley Zimmerman

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...