Crime and Safety, News

UM graduate dies in car crash early Sunday morning

The  University of Miami graduate Dino Ghilotti was killed in a tw0-car crash Sunday morning, according to the Coral Gables Police Department and a statement released by President Donna E. Shalala.

A memorial service will be held for him at 5 p.m. Monday at St. Augustine Church, located at 1400 Miller Rd., across the street from campus, said UM spokeswoman Margot Winick. It will be followed by a memorial service at the Newman Alumni Center on campus.

Friends said that Ghilotti, 22, was a fun and kind-hearted person.

“Dino was one of the nicest, funniest kids I had the pleasure of meeting,” said alumnus Katie Dorsey, who lived a floor below Ghilotti their freshman year. “He was the type of guy who was always excited to see you around campus and who always had a huge smile on his face that would brighten your day.”

Ghilotti was in the passenger seat of a car that crashed on Bird Road and San Amaro Drive just after 4:30 a.m., according to the Coral Gables Police. The car was being driven by another UM student, but no further details were available as of Sunday afternoon.

“The entire university community is heartbroken to hear of the tragic traffic accident which resulted in the death of a UM student who just celebrated his graduation on Friday,” Shalala said in her statement. “…Our condolences and thoughts are with his family and friends today.”

Ghilotti graduated from the School of Business, and planned to join his family’s construction business, Shalala’s statement said.

The counseling center is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday for any students who need assistance. They are accepting walk-ins. Anyone who wants to speak with a counselor on Sunday should contact UMPD for the on-call therapist at 305-284-6666.

The investigation is ongoing. This story will be updated as more details become available.

The Miami Hurricane Editor-in-Chief Stephanie Parra contributed to this report. 

May 12, 2013

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...