Crime and Safety, News

UM graduate dies in car crash early Sunday morning

The  University of Miami graduate Dino Ghilotti was killed in a tw0-car crash Sunday morning, according to the Coral Gables Police Department and a statement released by President Donna E. Shalala.

A memorial service will be held for him at 5 p.m. Monday at St. Augustine Church, located at 1400 Miller Rd., across the street from campus, said UM spokeswoman Margot Winick. It will be followed by a memorial service at the Newman Alumni Center on campus.

Friends said that Ghilotti, 22, was a fun and kind-hearted person.

“Dino was one of the nicest, funniest kids I had the pleasure of meeting,” said alumnus Katie Dorsey, who lived a floor below Ghilotti their freshman year. “He was the type of guy who was always excited to see you around campus and who always had a huge smile on his face that would brighten your day.”

Ghilotti was in the passenger seat of a car that crashed on Bird Road and San Amaro Drive just after 4:30 a.m., according to the Coral Gables Police. The car was being driven by another UM student, but no further details were available as of Sunday afternoon.

“The entire university community is heartbroken to hear of the tragic traffic accident which resulted in the death of a UM student who just celebrated his graduation on Friday,” Shalala said in her statement. “…Our condolences and thoughts are with his family and friends today.”

Ghilotti graduated from the School of Business, and planned to join his family’s construction business, Shalala’s statement said.

The counseling center is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday for any students who need assistance. They are accepting walk-ins. Anyone who wants to speak with a counselor on Sunday should contact UMPD for the on-call therapist at 305-284-6666.

The investigation is ongoing. This story will be updated as more details become available.

The Miami Hurricane Editor-in-Chief Stephanie Parra contributed to this report. 

May 12, 2013

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...