Edge, Music, Reviews

The Postelles’ new album proves to be summer staple

The Postelles are a New York-raised band going back to simpler sounds. Their sophomore album “… And It Shook Me” hit stores Tuesday with songs that range from indie and folksy to old-style pop rock. Their tracks have a pure quality that makes them reminiscent of a range of bands and styles, particularly The Strokes, whose guitarist helped produce their first album back in 2011.

The group captures listeners with their upbeat, optimistic sound, playful instrumentals and meaningful lyrics. Though some of the songs sound similar, the band keeps fans interested with fun tracks perfect for summer.

The opening and title track “And It Shook Me” stands out with its folksy, catchy guitar and provocative lyrics, such as the line “So just open the door, ‘cause I won’t bang it down no more.” The song also establishes the classic rock vibe that is favored by the band, especially later in the album.

The next track “Pretend It’s Love” introduces a bluesy sound as the leader singer goes back and forth with artist Alex Winston in the typical love ballad battle, in which they ruefully sing “Run, run, run away from it all because we lost it all.”

The fourth track on the album “You Got Me Beat” introduces the ’50s cruising style present in the second half of the album, moving away from the lighter, folksier quality of the early tracks. The next song “Heavy Eyes” displays an emotional quality that highlights lead singer Daniel Balk’s keening vocals.

Though some of the later songs in the album grow slightly repetitive, the band continues to produce high quality sound, with standout tracks such as “Caught By Surprise” which is fast-paced with the rhythmic quality of old school, jukebox pop. “Running Red Lights” also stands out with lyrics that lend to an image of recklessness.

The album ends on a high note with “You Know I Won’t” which preserves the juxtaposition present in the rest of the album with an enthusiastic, upbeat sound and lyrics that tackle the problems of a rocky relationship and the possibility of losing a partner.

“… And It Shook Me” is an album that resonates on several levels. At first, listeners may simply revel in the retro, beachy tracks, but another listen will reveal the deeper quality behind the lyrics. Though sometimes cliché, the lyrics tackle deep hurts and are delivered in a way that makes them poignant and touching. Whether you’re blasting it by the pool or while driving around with your top down, “… And It Shook Me” is sure to be a summer staple.

Marlee Lisker

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...