Campus Life, News, Profiles

Soccer watch parties unite multicultural fans

Students watch Bayern Munich and Barcelona play in the first leg of the semifinal of the Champions League Tournament on TV in the lower UC. Bayern Munich beat Barcelona in a shutout with a final score of 4-0. Charlotte Cushing // Contributing Photographer

Charlotte Cushing // Contributing Photographer

On Wednesday afternoon, a large crowd of students crowded around three big-screen TVs in the University Center to watch football. But it wasn’t the Canes kind. It was the European Champions League Tournament, where soccer – or football as it is called outside the U.S. – is king.

Many of them are international students, passionate about the sport and cheering for their favorite team to make the winning goal. These unofficial watch parties on the lower level of the UC have become a staple for international soccer fans at UM.

“Many international students love crowding in the UC to watch these soccer matches,” said Hong-Uyen Hua, president of the Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO). “I know that one of our organizations, the European Students Union, has been trying to organize a watch party for the European Champions League Tournament.”

Abel Champion, a senior who works at the UC information desk, said the gatherings have been taking place for a while.

“It started off slowly, last semester,” said Champion, who also serves as chair of the Federation of Club Sports. “A few people would ask if they could watch a soccer game on TV and if there was nothing important on or if no one else was already watching the TV, we would let them change it.”

The most popular games to watch in the UC are top European teams, said Gaston Melo-Felgueres, an international student from Paris who also works at the UC information desk.

“Right now we’re in the second leg of the quarterfinals, with the finals coming up in May,” Melo-Felgueres said.

While there is no official organization for this, soccer fans seem to know when to show up before game time and settle in to watch together.

“You don’t hear about them. You just know when the game starts, and you show up,” said Matias Stanham, a freshman originally from Uruguay. Game schedules and score updates can be found at uefa.com.

Ashley Zimmerman

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...