News Briefs 4/25

Jane Goodall

British primatologist and anthropologist Jane Goodall will speak at UM at 5 p.m. Monday. She is best known for her study of social and family interactions of wild chimpanzees in Tanzania’s Gombe National Park. The event has been moved from the Fieldhouse to the BankUnited Center, so more tickets have become available. The event is free, but a ticket is required for entry, with a limit of two tickets per student. Visit janegoodall.eventbrite.com and enter the password “janegoodall” to obtain a ticket. Doors open at 4 p.m.

Boston Fundraiser

Sisters in the Panhellenic community organized a fundraiser for the victims of Boston Marathon attack, tabling in the breezeway Monday and Tuesday. More than $700 was raised for One Fund Boston, which was created by the mayor of Boston and the governor of Massachusetts to help the people most affected by the tragedy on April 15. They distributed blue and yellow ribbons, sold baked goods, and collected additional donations. Alpha Delta Pi, Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Gamma and Kappa Kappa Gamma all supported the effort.

Parking permits

More than 100 parking spaces will be added to the color-coded system of parking lots on the Coral Gables campus. An existing visitor lot adjacent to Pavia Garage will be converted into a pink lot for employees and students. A new lot with 88 spaces will also be constructed next to the Studio Arts Building at the corner of Red Road and Levante Avenue. The 2013-2014 parking permit application process will begin in July, with all faculty and staff applying on July 1, all returning students on July 8, and all new students excluding first-year residents on July 15.

The Homeless Trust

A parking meter designed by artist Romero Britto will be installed on campus at Starbucks near Richter Library. It will be used to collect funds that are donated to The Homeless Trust of Miami-Dade. UM S.T.E.P. will unveil the meter at 11:30 a.m. on Thursday.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D in Durham, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Adria Soriano Barrera begins competition in the singles draw Monday at 5 p.m. with a contest against ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...