News Briefs 4/25

Jane Goodall

British primatologist and anthropologist Jane Goodall will speak at UM at 5 p.m. Monday. She is best known for her study of social and family interactions of wild chimpanzees in Tanzania’s Gombe National Park. The event has been moved from the Fieldhouse to the BankUnited Center, so more tickets have become available. The event is free, but a ticket is required for entry, with a limit of two tickets per student. Visit janegoodall.eventbrite.com and enter the password “janegoodall” to obtain a ticket. Doors open at 4 p.m.

Boston Fundraiser

Sisters in the Panhellenic community organized a fundraiser for the victims of Boston Marathon attack, tabling in the breezeway Monday and Tuesday. More than $700 was raised for One Fund Boston, which was created by the mayor of Boston and the governor of Massachusetts to help the people most affected by the tragedy on April 15. They distributed blue and yellow ribbons, sold baked goods, and collected additional donations. Alpha Delta Pi, Delta Phi Epsilon, Delta Gamma and Kappa Kappa Gamma all supported the effort.

Parking permits

More than 100 parking spaces will be added to the color-coded system of parking lots on the Coral Gables campus. An existing visitor lot adjacent to Pavia Garage will be converted into a pink lot for employees and students. A new lot with 88 spaces will also be constructed next to the Studio Arts Building at the corner of Red Road and Levante Avenue. The 2013-2014 parking permit application process will begin in July, with all faculty and staff applying on July 1, all returning students on July 8, and all new students excluding first-year residents on July 15.

The Homeless Trust

A parking meter designed by artist Romero Britto will be installed on campus at Starbucks near Richter Library. It will be used to collect funds that are donated to The Homeless Trust of Miami-Dade. UM S.T.E.P. will unveil the meter at 11:30 a.m. on Thursday.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...