Bell curves set students up for failure

When most students think of the word “curve” in regards to a test, they often think of the fudging of the number of questions in their benefit.

However, if we look at what a curve truly is, it is a grade distribution based on a bell curve where some people must receive A’s and others must receive F’s. No if’s, and’s, or but’s about it.

While most students may point out there is always going to be someone who will not do the work and will not pass the class anyway, this is an absolutely harmful grading system that promotes a very negative mindset for students.

If you put together a class full of geniuses, let’s say the Einstein’s of the world, some of these bright individuals would be forced to fail just based on how the curve functions. And if your section happens to be the smarter section, well then, just your luck.

This system promotes a competitive nature in an environment where students should collaborate and do their best work rather than worrying about their classmates. The students who receive A’s are the “smartest” in their class, but they may not be as smart as the person who received a C in another section where general scores were lower.

In the real world, people are truly judgmental almost every moment of the day. The second you lay eyes on someone, a thought comes to your head. And don’t even mention the job market where candidates are always chosen over others as their credibilities, skills and background are put head to head.

A university is supposed to be a learning environment, not a battle of natural selection. If we want to reward students who are intelligent, hard working and passionate, the curve is simply a curve in the wrong direction.

Alyssa Jacobson is a sophomore majoring in advertising and political science. 

Alyssa Jacobson

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic has been through more trauma in the ...

The words “Sweet 16” may never have been uttered as the Miami Hurricanes were laying out their prese ...

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team will play fifth-seeded Arizona State in a top-2 ...

The Hurricanes made a ninth inning rally, but came up just short to No. 5 NC State, 7-6. ...

Kevin Arreaga of the University of Miami track and field team won the men's hammer throw on Sat ...

The Hurricanes received two key signatures from transfers in December's early signing period. ...

The Hurricanes travel to Chapel Hill, N.C., to battle the 11th-ranked Tar Heels. ...