Bell curves set students up for failure

When most students think of the word “curve” in regards to a test, they often think of the fudging of the number of questions in their benefit.

However, if we look at what a curve truly is, it is a grade distribution based on a bell curve where some people must receive A’s and others must receive F’s. No if’s, and’s, or but’s about it.

While most students may point out there is always going to be someone who will not do the work and will not pass the class anyway, this is an absolutely harmful grading system that promotes a very negative mindset for students.

If you put together a class full of geniuses, let’s say the Einstein’s of the world, some of these bright individuals would be forced to fail just based on how the curve functions. And if your section happens to be the smarter section, well then, just your luck.

This system promotes a competitive nature in an environment where students should collaborate and do their best work rather than worrying about their classmates. The students who receive A’s are the “smartest” in their class, but they may not be as smart as the person who received a C in another section where general scores were lower.

In the real world, people are truly judgmental almost every moment of the day. The second you lay eyes on someone, a thought comes to your head. And don’t even mention the job market where candidates are always chosen over others as their credibilities, skills and background are put head to head.

A university is supposed to be a learning environment, not a battle of natural selection. If we want to reward students who are intelligent, hard working and passionate, the curve is simply a curve in the wrong direction.

Alyssa Jacobson is a sophomore majoring in advertising and political science. 

Alyssa Jacobson

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...