News, Profiles

Associate dean to leave legacy after 34 years

After 34 years of early mornings, late nights and occasional weekends in the office, Associate Dean Rita Deutsch’s biggest fear about her upcoming retirement is that she will have nothing to do but clean the house.

“I have a sneaking suspicion that she will show up on May 2nd and have forgotten she’s retired,” said her friend Marian Dahman, manager of Senior Advising in the College of Arts and Sciences.

Deutsch started her UM career in 1969. In 1980 she taught freshman composition and business writing and after five years was moved to head up freshman advising on the second floor of the Ashe Building, where her office still is. Over the years she has been committed to helping thousands of students from her school and others at UM.

“It’s hard to put words to these 34 years,” Deutsch said. “It’s been wonderful, and I’ve seen the school shift. The students are intellectual and are interested in things outside of the university. We have truly changed from the Suntan U [reputation].”

Deutsch isn’t just a nine-to-five type of person.  She is known around campus as someone who tries to help any student in almost any situation.

“She has seen a lot of things in her years here; it will be difficult losing her,” said Arts and Sciences Dean Leonidas Bachas. “I’m sure I will still be calling her for advice.”

The hours Deutsch spends on campus aren’t all in her office though. She can also be found in the Wellness Center taking Zumba or Guts and Butts classes, and she never misses a Saturday morning aerobics class. She has the monthly group exercise schedule posted behind her desk and tries to make as many classes as she can.

She is also a seasoned performer at the Ring Theatre. For the past seven years, during the last performance of the season, she has been offered a walk-on role in each show.

Deutsch has also had a large impact on the equality of women on campus. She has been a part of the Women’s Commission for much of her time at UM and has seen many changes in the attitude toward women here.  She and the Women’s Commission once linked arms around the tennis courts while the women’s tennis team practiced to take a stand for equal practice time for tennis and basketball.

“She was here right at the beginning of the women’s rights movement.  She was on the forefront of the movements on campus,” Bachas said.

Although retirement will offer more time to be spent with her husband, who is also retired, and more time for aerobics classes, Deutsch is trying not to think about the future too much.

“I am just going to take it slow and see what there is to do,” she said. “I want to do something with my years. I’ll volunteer and help others as long as I feel good.”

Deutsch has been around long enough to see the university change and the student body along with it. She sometimes refers to herself as “the oldest living relic on campus.”

It is obvious that she will miss this place, but also that this campus will miss her.

“There will be a crack somewhere in the university now that she is leaving,” Dahman said.

To honor her retirement, Student Government (SG) passed a resolution Wednesday evening commemorating Deutsch for her outstanding service to UM. The legislation authored by former SG President Nawara Alawa, cites her accomplishments, contributions and the positive attitude that has been infectious around UM.

Hannah Meister

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...