Campus Life, News

Apps ease summer vacation plans, connect travelers

Junior Kate Maier sunbathes on roof of the UV Albenga garage on Monday afternoon. Photo Illustration. Monica Herndon // Assistant Photo Editor

Summer, the glorious end to the semester, has finally arrived and students can practically feel the sand between their toes. Before taking off, it’s important to pack all the essentials, including the right apps that can make or break your vacation.

Break the Ice!

Meeting people can be awkward. Break the Ice! helps users find nearby people to hang out with, because no one wants to spend summer alone. Two people will only be matched if they have a mutual interest, which means no more awkward encounters.

AroundMe

The most exciting part of going away for summer is finding somewhere awesome to hang out, but where do students even begin to look? AroundMe locates points of interest near users, including restaurants, bars, hospitals, ATMs and many more categories to make for an exciting trip.

Google Translate

Google Translate is a must for going abroad. The last thing students want is to be stuck in a country trying to interpret foreign signs. The simplicity of the app means getting over the language barrier and getting onto the fun faster.

Taxi Magic

It’s the end of the night, and the phrase “party hard” has been taken to the extreme. But, what happens now? Taxi magic works, well, just like magic to summon a taxi and get students back to their hotels without much fuss.

TripAdvisor

It’s like a travel agent in your pocket. Trip Advisor offers helpful hotel and flight information. It also displays nearby restaurants and activities and includes price ranges and user reviews. The app provides local city guides so students can take a free, app-guided walking or driving tour.

Urbanspoon

After a full day of fun in the sun or partying in the club, nobody wants to stand around trying to decide where to eat. Urbanspoon simplifies the process by selecting a random location based on the price range, location or type of cuisine.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been fascinated with Japan and its culture. Parti ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

A University of Miami engineering faculty member discusses how California’s infrastructure fared dur ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...