Chase dreams, passion during college

Fourteen years ago I sported orange and green hair, a Sebastian tattoo on my right cheek and a University of Miami cheerleading outfit. I stood on top of the bleachers at the Orange Bowl and cheered for the football team.

I was as close to my dream as I thought I ever would be, until two years ago when I transferred to UM. What was once a dream became my reality.

I’ve attended every game at Sun Life Stadium. I’ve roamed through the Intramural Fields. I’ve had lunch on the Green. I’ve had sangria on the gliders at the Rat. I’ve spent a night at Richter during finals.

More than that, I found my second home on the second floor of the University Center in The Miami Hurricane’s newsroom working as the opinion editor. I have spent countless hours learning about my passion, which I have found in journalism.

Mark Twain once said, “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Working at the Hurricane made me realize why I was born. I was born to be a journalist.

As I get ready to graduate from UM, I look back at my journey spent here. I see how much I’ve grown. I see the impact this university has had on my life.

Through my experiences, I have learned how to never take no for an answer. I have learned how to be fearless. I have learned how to communicate with others, even those who have disagreed with my thoughts.

I came in as a girl. I am leaving a woman.

For those who still feel they have not found their passion or purpose in life, don’t give up. Keep searching. The day you find what you are meant to do, you’ll know.

At UM, you will meet friends that become family, you will meet professors who become mentors, and you will encounter failures that will become lessons. Embrace every moment, every relationship and every challenge.

Most importantly, never let obstacles derail your dreams. Chase your dreams – even the ones that seem impossible. And even when you feel like giving up, keep running.

Elizabeth de Armas is a senior majoring in journalism. She will be a reporting intern at The Miami Herald after graduation.

Elizabeth De Armas

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...