A Word from the Editor: Make mistakes, forge own path

I came to UM with high hopes and the best intentions. Some were met and some were altered along the way.

Most of all, I discovered myself in the process. I’ve faced challenges I never thought I would have. I took courses I never imagined were taught. Professors and students became mentors to me – people I strive to embody.

Becoming the editor-in-chief of our award-winning student newspaper is my greatest achievement. While book learning and facts can help you with exams, there is nothing like working with a team of people day-in and day-out to produce something extraordinary. You learn a lot about the type of person you are when put in difficult situations.

I’m most definitely not the same person who walked into Stanford Residential College those four short years ago. And, it’s OK to change. It’s OK to switch majors and join new clubs and experience things you never thought you would, because you’re in college. Now is the time to do it.

Don’t be ashamed that you want to forge your own path. If I’ve learned one thing, it’s don’t let your advisers, professors or fellow students cement your path for you. You know you better than they do. While it’s fine to receive advice, don’t allow yourself to get lost living someone else’s dream.

It’s OK to make mistakes and fail – I’ve had my fair share. I took each one, and I learned from them.

UM is the best decision I made, and I don’t regret anything, including the failures. I am leaving a better person than I came in. I have friends and professors to thank for that. These mentors have helped shape me into the person I am now. I am forever grateful.

Make the best of college. You’re here to get a degree, but you’re also here to become the person you were always meant to be. At UM, I found it. I have no doubt everyone here can as well.

As one of my greatest mentors said in her final letter, “Thank you to our readers, the phenomenal newspaper staff and our adviser for an amazing college experience at The Miami Hurricane.”

Demi Rafuls is a senior majoring in microbiology and immunology. She will continue on as the editor-in-chief of First Impression. She may be contacted at editor@themiamihurricane.com.

Demi Rafuls

Editor-in-Chief

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opened NCAA Tournament play with a 69-62 triump ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...