New structure fosters student voice

Last Wednesday, a paradigm shift was presented to the Student Senate.  Collectively, new and veteran senators alike support this face lift to the way the Senate will function and consequently the Student Government (SG).

You would think the Senate would serve as the voice of the student body. Yet too many senators represent their own personal interests over their constituencies and as such, communication between the executive and legislative branches of SG have soured over the past few years. It has been envisioned that by making changes to the standing committees of Senate and the elections of senators that this will bring a greater amount of clarity to the legislative process.

These changes will enhance the credibility of senators by reworking the standing committees of Senate. A revamping of these forums will better allow senators to follow up on specific initiatives.  Furthermore, senators would be organized into relevant standing committees by the seat that they were elected into; by taking this action, this ensures that the student voice is being heard equitably. Officers of the Executive Branch will be integrated into standing committees to keep the lines of communication open. Even though Senate will be more structured, all senators will have the opportunity to make their opinion and experience heard both in standing committees and on the Senate floor on all matters.

This was inspired by the failure of communication between the legislative and executive branches, a sense of hubris among senators, and lack of vocal representation of the student body. Undertaken and planned by members of both the legislative and executive branches, this reform is passionately supported by members across student government – but your voice is still needed.

Come to the UC Ballrooms C & D at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday for the opportunity to enact these changes.  We encourage you to contact your senator by going to the SG site or, even better, come and voice your opinion so that your voice will be heard in the future.

Austin James Sedaghatpour is the College of Arts and Science senator.

Austin Sedaghatpour

Jared Payne

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opened NCAA Tournament play with a 69-62 triump ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...