Sports, Tennis

Sports Briefs: 4/22

Women’s Tennis

Miami lost for just the fifth time this season, dropping the last match of the year to Virginia.

The Canes’ three top singles players all fell, while the other two matches reached a third set before going unfinished.

Next up is the ACC Tournament, where Miami will try to rebound against more top-quality competition.

“I thought we played well at doubles, especially at No. 3,” coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “I’m looking forward to getting to Cary and starting the tournament.”

ACC play begins Thursday. The conference will announce matchups on Monday afternoon.

Track & Field

Although the team standings might indicate otherwise, the Hurricanes had a decent showing at this weekend’s ACC Outdoor Championships.

The women finished 11th overall, while the men ended in ninth. In some individual events, though, Miami made its mark.

Shannon Wright, Taneisha Cordell, Alaine Tate and Jokira Jiles ran the 4x400m relay and turned in a season-best time of 3:39:81. It was good enough for third place.

Isaiah Simmons had a standout performance, winning the men’s shot put and placing third in discus. He earned the field MVP award for his dominant freshman campaign.

Spencer Dandes may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Spencer Dandes

The Miami Hurricanes returned to the football field Tuesday, their first spring at the Carol Soffer ...

So much for the suspense of Selection Monday. The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t ...

The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t have to wait until Monday night’s Selection S ...

Nearly three months have passed since we last saw the Miami Hurricanes perform on a football field, ...

Manny Diaz begins his first spring practice as UM’s head football coach on Tuesday, and nobody — not ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

The Canes return home for a week, beginning a five-game homestand with a midweek series against Colu ...

The University of Miami women's track and field program rank eighth in the preseason edition of ...

New Hurricanes wide receiver K.J. Osborn was swayed by what he saw on his television set in early Ja ...

Images from the No. 27 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 triumph over No. 42 Notre Dame at t ...