Sports, Tennis

Sports Briefs: 4/22

Women’s Tennis

Miami lost for just the fifth time this season, dropping the last match of the year to Virginia.

The Canes’ three top singles players all fell, while the other two matches reached a third set before going unfinished.

Next up is the ACC Tournament, where Miami will try to rebound against more top-quality competition.

“I thought we played well at doubles, especially at No. 3,” coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “I’m looking forward to getting to Cary and starting the tournament.”

ACC play begins Thursday. The conference will announce matchups on Monday afternoon.

Track & Field

Although the team standings might indicate otherwise, the Hurricanes had a decent showing at this weekend’s ACC Outdoor Championships.

The women finished 11th overall, while the men ended in ninth. In some individual events, though, Miami made its mark.

Shannon Wright, Taneisha Cordell, Alaine Tate and Jokira Jiles ran the 4x400m relay and turned in a season-best time of 3:39:81. It was good enough for third place.

Isaiah Simmons had a standout performance, winning the men’s shot put and placing third in discus. He earned the field MVP award for his dominant freshman campaign.

Spencer Dandes may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Spencer Dandes

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...