Sports, Tennis

Sports Briefs: 4/22

Women’s Tennis

Miami lost for just the fifth time this season, dropping the last match of the year to Virginia.

The Canes’ three top singles players all fell, while the other two matches reached a third set before going unfinished.

Next up is the ACC Tournament, where Miami will try to rebound against more top-quality competition.

“I thought we played well at doubles, especially at No. 3,” coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “I’m looking forward to getting to Cary and starting the tournament.”

ACC play begins Thursday. The conference will announce matchups on Monday afternoon.

Track & Field

Although the team standings might indicate otherwise, the Hurricanes had a decent showing at this weekend’s ACC Outdoor Championships.

The women finished 11th overall, while the men ended in ninth. In some individual events, though, Miami made its mark.

Shannon Wright, Taneisha Cordell, Alaine Tate and Jokira Jiles ran the 4x400m relay and turned in a season-best time of 3:39:81. It was good enough for third place.

Isaiah Simmons had a standout performance, winning the men’s shot put and placing third in discus. He earned the field MVP award for his dominant freshman campaign.

Spencer Dandes may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Spencer Dandes

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...