Sports, Tennis

Sports Briefs: 4/22

Women’s Tennis

Miami lost for just the fifth time this season, dropping the last match of the year to Virginia.

The Canes’ three top singles players all fell, while the other two matches reached a third set before going unfinished.

Next up is the ACC Tournament, where Miami will try to rebound against more top-quality competition.

“I thought we played well at doubles, especially at No. 3,” coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “I’m looking forward to getting to Cary and starting the tournament.”

ACC play begins Thursday. The conference will announce matchups on Monday afternoon.

Track & Field

Although the team standings might indicate otherwise, the Hurricanes had a decent showing at this weekend’s ACC Outdoor Championships.

The women finished 11th overall, while the men ended in ninth. In some individual events, though, Miami made its mark.

Shannon Wright, Taneisha Cordell, Alaine Tate and Jokira Jiles ran the 4x400m relay and turned in a season-best time of 3:39:81. It was good enough for third place.

Isaiah Simmons had a standout performance, winning the men’s shot put and placing third in discus. He earned the field MVP award for his dominant freshman campaign.

Spencer Dandes may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Spencer Dandes

University of Miami Frost School of Music alumni are recognized on Latin music’s biggest night—the 2 ...

A new course is providing students a primer on planning the Super Bowl, one of the biggest events of ...

A week full of spirit, friendly competition and ’Canes pride was on display during Homecoming and Al ...

Griffin Berkenfeld, a University of Miami senior and director of CaneStage’s upcoming production of ...

With public impeachment hearings set to begin Wednesday, University of Miami experts weigh in on wha ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. - University of Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced th ...

Miami head men's basketball coach Jim Larrañaga announced Wednesday the signing of consensus fo ...

Two members of the Miami women's tennis team earned spots in the Oracle/ITA singles rankings to ...

For the first time in over a decade a pair of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes ...

The No. 17/19 Miami women's basketball team downed North Florida, 78-55, in front of 4,017 fans ...