Photo

SLIDESHOW: Autism Field Day

(Photos by Holly Bensur)

On Friday afternoon, the University of Miami hosted a field day for children and teens with autism in Miami. April is Autism Awareness Month and UM students had the opportunity to join the UM Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (CARD) at the UM Field Day for Teens. One child, Alex, took his turn sitting in the middle of a colorful parachute as volunteers and other autistic children spun him around. There were a variety of stations and activities including limbo, hula hoops and cornhole. UM students Robert Pursell and Lindsay Rosen spearheaded the event. Pursell organized this event with CARD to leave a lasting impression at the U. “I think it did a lot for not only the kids with autism, but also for the college kids who came out and had never worked with autistic kids before,” he said. “The ability to impact a child with autism is very powerful.” More than 100 UM students and 30 autistic children from the community came to campus to participate in the festivities.

Cayla Nimmo

Planet Kreyol and the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs host a remembrance ceremony to salute ...

University of Miami film and media specialists discuss the dynamics—competition, quality, and delive ...

The destruction throughout portions of southwestern Puerto Rico brings back memories of the devastat ...

The unique program ends with students in the nation’s capital, meeting with elected officials, explo ...

University of Miami Laboratory for Integrative Knowledge grantees learn more about the science of te ...

The Miami men's basketball team will welcome ninth-ranked Florida State to the Watsco Center Sa ...

Miami drops a road contest at North Carolina. ...

Miami heads to Chapel Hill on Thursday to take on North Carolina. ...

The Miami men's basketball team fell to NC State, 80-63, Wednesday night at PNC Arena. ...

Sam Waardenburg has been a steady, consistent presence for the Hurricanes during a tough January str ...