Ras-Anderica ties for third at ACC Championships

Throughout the season, sophomore golfing sensation Leticia Ras-Anderica spent her time on the greens and moving up the ladder.

The talented Spaniard has led the way for Miami this spring. In fact, at all three major spring tournaments Ras-Anderica has finished in the top 10.

The ACC Championship this past weekend was no different, as Ras-Anderica finished in third with scores of 74, 72 and 75 (+8 total).

Miami also used a strong performance from Rika Park tie for fifth overall by the tournament’s close.

Awaiting Miami in Greensboro, N.C., was a strong field of nine schools from the ACC represented by 45 of the nation’s top golfers.

Breezy and overcast conditions set the stage for round one at Sedgefield Country Club, where the Duke Blue Devils looked to add to their collection of 17 ACC tournament titles.

The Blue Devils finished Friday with a seven-stroke lead. Miami was far behind in ninth.

The race was all but over come Saturday morning, but as Duke seemed to pull away with the team lead, Miami’s squad made a jump up to seventh place.

The Canes closed out Saturday at 50-over par (618).

Impressively, Ras-Anderica recorded an eagle in each of her first two rounds.

“It felt way easier this year, the greens changed to Bermuda grass and weren’t so fast, which gave me more control on my putts,” she said.

Park started the day in 18th place, and finished in a tie for 12th with Augusta James of N.C. State.

She made a five-stroke improvement (77 to 72) from Friday to Saturday, but Miami struggled as a whole on the back nine.

“We didn’t finish how we wanted, we were in fourth with four holes to go and had a rough finish,” assistant coach John Koskinen said. “We just need to stop making careless mistakes.”

The Canes finished tied for fifth with North Carolina with team totals of 924 after all three rounds.

Overall, Duke held its lead and ended 24 strokes clear of second-place N.C. State. The Blue Devils also had four players finish in the individual top 10.

It was the second consecutive title for Duke.

The Virginia Cavaliers fell to third place after an uncharacteristically rough outing from Brittany Altomare.

Still, she finished No. 1 overall in the tournament with a 70 (two under par) on Friday, 71 on Saturday and 76 on Sunday.

Head coach Patti Rizzo sees the weekend as a step in the right direction.

“We’re really excited about this. The fifth-place finish should be enough to secure us a bid into the NCAA regional,” she said. “I’m not sure when the NCAA selection show is, but we’re all excited and looking forward to it.”

Andy Leon

The Miami Hurricanes returned to the football field Tuesday, their first spring at the Carol Soffer ...

So much for the suspense of Selection Monday. The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t ...

The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t have to wait until Monday night’s Selection S ...

Nearly three months have passed since we last saw the Miami Hurricanes perform on a football field, ...

Manny Diaz begins his first spring practice as UM’s head football coach on Tuesday, and nobody — not ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

The Canes return home for a week, beginning a five-game homestand with a midweek series against Colu ...

The University of Miami women's track and field program rank eighth in the preseason edition of ...

New Hurricanes wide receiver K.J. Osborn was swayed by what he saw on his television set in early Ja ...

Images from the No. 27 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 triumph over No. 42 Notre Dame at t ...