Blogs

Inebriation & Gluttony: Caffeine Highs!

With the last week of classes and finals week approaching, I figured this was an appropriate post. Personally, I have all my papers and projects due next week and am making caffeine my new lover until this mess is done with. Then I can shrivel up and die with withdrawal as I welcome summer break with open arms.

Caffeine may seem like a great “drug” to some students, but BE WARNED! Drinking too much caffeine is a health risk! According to the chart below, 250-500 mg of caffeine, or anything less than a tall fresh filter coffee at Starbucks, can cause an overdose. Overdosing symptoms include the jitters you might feel, and the worst case scenario of sudden death via cardiac arrest. Remember that caffeine stays in your body for four hours, so try to moderate yourself. Other adverse symptoms include insomnia (I had a huge cup of concentrated Dominican coffee and couldn’t sleep for over 24 hours … hardest crash afterward), peeing a lot (caffeine is a diuretic, meaning it causes you to pee, not have diarrhea), and yes … pooping (caffeine accelerates digestion, so it’s almost like food goes in one way and out the other in no time).

The following infographics deal with CAFFEINE FACTS, like how much caffeine is in certain common drinks. So if you just need to stay awake those few extra hours instead of all night long, this chart might come in handy. It also lists the calories, which is kind of a big deal to some.

Getting your caffeine fix in the office
Produced by Consultant Services Group and Life In The Office Blog.

Stay jittery, my friends. Happy eating!

Catherine Wong

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...