Athletics, Sports

Sports Brief 4/18

Track & Field

The ACC Outdoor Track Championships begin Thursday in Raleigh, N.C.

Miami’s women’s 4×100 meter relay team is seen as having the best chance to score a win.

Amber Monroe and Lea Johnson have high hopes for the field events.

Isaiah Simmons, a men’s thrower who set a personal record in discus at last week’s Hurricane Invitational, is a threat in the shot-put and hammer throws.

“It’s ACC week. It’s what you’ve been training for all year,” coach Amy Deem said. “It’s not about one person, it’s about a team effort. Everybody needs to step up so when they walk off, they can say they left everything on the track.”

Golf

The Miami women’s golf team has performed beyond the expectations of recent seasons, and heads to the ACC Championships this weekend.

Three starters from the eighth-place squad at last year’s tournament will return to the course for No. 54 Miami.

The action kicks off at the Sedgefield Country Club in Greensboro, N.C., at 8:30 a.m. Friday.

The Canes placed in the top five at five of their 10 tournaments this year.

To track the women’s progress throughout the weekend, follow the team on Twitter @HurricanesGolf.

Football

Coach Al Golden released the first depth chart since spring practice ended.

The Hurricanes return 10 offensive starters and nine defensive starters, and will be led by senior quarterback Stephen Morris.

Miami’s only freshman starter listed on the new depth chart is Alex Figueroa, who nabbed the top spot at outside linebacker.

Also making his first appearance on the depth chart is Pat O’Donnell, a graduate punter out of the University of Cincinnati.

Spencer Dandes may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Spencer Dandes

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...