Athletics, Sports

Sports Brief 4/18

Track & Field

The ACC Outdoor Track Championships begin Thursday in Raleigh, N.C.

Miami’s women’s 4×100 meter relay team is seen as having the best chance to score a win.

Amber Monroe and Lea Johnson have high hopes for the field events.

Isaiah Simmons, a men’s thrower who set a personal record in discus at last week’s Hurricane Invitational, is a threat in the shot-put and hammer throws.

“It’s ACC week. It’s what you’ve been training for all year,” coach Amy Deem said. “It’s not about one person, it’s about a team effort. Everybody needs to step up so when they walk off, they can say they left everything on the track.”

Golf

The Miami women’s golf team has performed beyond the expectations of recent seasons, and heads to the ACC Championships this weekend.

Three starters from the eighth-place squad at last year’s tournament will return to the course for No. 54 Miami.

The action kicks off at the Sedgefield Country Club in Greensboro, N.C., at 8:30 a.m. Friday.

The Canes placed in the top five at five of their 10 tournaments this year.

To track the women’s progress throughout the weekend, follow the team on Twitter @HurricanesGolf.

Football

Coach Al Golden released the first depth chart since spring practice ended.

The Hurricanes return 10 offensive starters and nine defensive starters, and will be led by senior quarterback Stephen Morris.

Miami’s only freshman starter listed on the new depth chart is Alex Figueroa, who nabbed the top spot at outside linebacker.

Also making his first appearance on the depth chart is Pat O’Donnell, a graduate punter out of the University of Cincinnati.

Spencer Dandes may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Spencer Dandes

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...