Baseball, Sports

Miami avenges loss to Bethune-Cookman, wins 6-1

Junior shortstop Alexander Hernandez runs off the field at the end of an inning on Wednesday night's game against Bethune-Cookman. Nicholas Gangemi // Staff Photographer

Junior shortstop Alexander Hernandez runs off the field at the end of an inning on Wednesday night’s game against Bethune-Cookman. Nicholas Gangemi // Staff Photographer

Javi Salas shut down Bethune-Cookman for seven innings on Wednesday, and the Canes avenged a loss to the Wildcats earlier this year with a dominant 6-1 victory.

The junior right-hander kept the Wildcats in check, and Miami had no trouble getting on base at the start.

Miami appeared to have early momentum, with Alex Hernandez lining a double and Chantz Mack getting hit by a pitch before David Thompson stepped up to the plate in the bottom of the first.

But when Thompson lined out, the Wildcat rightfielder’s errant throw trapped Hernandez on the base path. He was caught and tagged out to end the inning.

Bethune-Cookman starting pitcher Ali Simpson escaped several threats from an active Miami lineup, and the Canes struggled to build run support for Salas.

Poor base-running again took its toll when Tyler Palmer was picked off after hitting a leadoff single in the third. The Canes still managed a rally before the inning was over – Alex San Juan knocked an RBI double to put Miami on the board, 1-0.

Salas, 4-4 as the midweek starter this season, gave up one unearned run in his seven innings of work. He struck out four and allowed four hits as the Hurricanes began their five-game homestand.

Miami is 19-8 at Mark Light Field this year, an impressive home record that will be put to the test during the rest of ACC play.

Michael Austin turned in three strong innings of relief pitching for the Wildcats (23-19). He replaced Simpson after eight straight balls to open the fourth. Austin, a freshman, then walked Thompson with the bases loaded, but the run was charged to Simpson.

The Canes (25-15) rode a 3-1 advantage into the eighth, when they added three more runs. San Juan finished with four hits, a career high.

No. 20 Clemson will visit Coral Gables for a weekend series starting 7 p.m. Friday.

Spencer Dandes

The Miami Hurricanes returned to the football field Tuesday, their first spring at the Carol Soffer ...

So much for the suspense of Selection Monday. The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t ...

The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t have to wait until Monday night’s Selection S ...

Nearly three months have passed since we last saw the Miami Hurricanes perform on a football field, ...

Manny Diaz begins his first spring practice as UM’s head football coach on Tuesday, and nobody — not ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

The Canes return home for a week, beginning a five-game homestand with a midweek series against Colu ...

The University of Miami women's track and field program rank eighth in the preseason edition of ...

New Hurricanes wide receiver K.J. Osborn was swayed by what he saw on his television set in early Ja ...

Images from the No. 27 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 triumph over No. 42 Notre Dame at t ...