V's Take

Dear V: It’s hell week for my boyfriend and me…

My boyfriend is currently in the middle of hell week for his frat, and I’ve officially turned into a needy betch. Between his irregular schedule and my insane one, I haven’t been able to see him for more than five minutes in the past week. Not seeing him on a regular basis stresses me out and makes me even more upset, as if school didn’t kill me enough. I just want someone to talk to, snuggle with and f*ck. What do I do? How do I get my independence back?

Sincerely,

Sad and Pathetic

Dear Melancholia,

You have perfectly listed the basic necessities for dating: talking, snuggling and f*cking. Every relationship at its core is nothing more than that dependable friend who can satisfy your social and biological needs.

The separation from this human parasite can feel drastic. But it shouldn’t mean the end of the Mayan calendar or Y2K. We can get through this together. I believe in you.

Let’s put everything into perspective. Your boyfriend’s hell week probably requires him to do some unsavory actions. Frats are not all unicorns and rainbows. Depending on the fraternity, he has probably made a trip to BT Gentlemen’s Club, streaked at the command of his leaders, and been forced to eat materials while blindfolded. Hey, it’s hell week so it’s supposed to feel as close to the belly of that demonic beast.

His hell week is your heaven week. You can take a break from all those terrible girlfriend duties like having sex at his every whim or listening to him about boring stuff like school, sports and his mom. Yes, it’s a “Mean Girls” quote. Sorry not sorry.

Your story reminds me of the TV show “Greek” that appeared on the ABC Family scene before “Switched at Birth” and “The Secret Life of the American Teenager” tanked the channel’s respect. “Greek’s” main sister found it difficult to balance school, her boyfriend and the sorority. But she learns that she will eventually graduate and none of this will matter.

So take a lesson from this instructional and unrealistic slice of American college life. What matters now only begins to scratch the surface on your overall life. Have fun, focus on your career and be open to new experiences.

Forget about your boy-toy and bask in the Miami sun in a worry-free stupor.

Advice Columnist

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...