V's Take

Dear V: It’s hell week for my boyfriend and me…

My boyfriend is currently in the middle of hell week for his frat, and I’ve officially turned into a needy betch. Between his irregular schedule and my insane one, I haven’t been able to see him for more than five minutes in the past week. Not seeing him on a regular basis stresses me out and makes me even more upset, as if school didn’t kill me enough. I just want someone to talk to, snuggle with and f*ck. What do I do? How do I get my independence back?

Sincerely,

Sad and Pathetic

Dear Melancholia,

You have perfectly listed the basic necessities for dating: talking, snuggling and f*cking. Every relationship at its core is nothing more than that dependable friend who can satisfy your social and biological needs.

The separation from this human parasite can feel drastic. But it shouldn’t mean the end of the Mayan calendar or Y2K. We can get through this together. I believe in you.

Let’s put everything into perspective. Your boyfriend’s hell week probably requires him to do some unsavory actions. Frats are not all unicorns and rainbows. Depending on the fraternity, he has probably made a trip to BT Gentlemen’s Club, streaked at the command of his leaders, and been forced to eat materials while blindfolded. Hey, it’s hell week so it’s supposed to feel as close to the belly of that demonic beast.

His hell week is your heaven week. You can take a break from all those terrible girlfriend duties like having sex at his every whim or listening to him about boring stuff like school, sports and his mom. Yes, it’s a “Mean Girls” quote. Sorry not sorry.

Your story reminds me of the TV show “Greek” that appeared on the ABC Family scene before “Switched at Birth” and “The Secret Life of the American Teenager” tanked the channel’s respect. “Greek’s” main sister found it difficult to balance school, her boyfriend and the sorority. But she learns that she will eventually graduate and none of this will matter.

So take a lesson from this instructional and unrealistic slice of American college life. What matters now only begins to scratch the surface on your overall life. Have fun, focus on your career and be open to new experiences.

Forget about your boy-toy and bask in the Miami sun in a worry-free stupor.

Advice Columnist

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...