Edge, Reviews, Theater

The Addams Family brings ghoulish delight to Broward

The Broward Center for Performing Arts is getting a spooky makeover.

“The Addams Family” is playing at Broward from April 15 to 21 and audiences are in for a ghoulish treat. The musical brings to life Morticia, Gomez, Pugsley, Wednesday, Uncle Fester, Lurch and other characters from Charles Addams cartoons, which have also been featured in various TV shows and movies.

In this rendition, daughter Wednesday has fallen in love with a relatively normal boy, Lucas Beineke, and hopes to marry him. She arranges a family dinner between her kooky clan and his and typical Addams family hijinks follow.

“The Addams Family” is by no means a Broadway classic and the story is a predictable romance, but the musical still manages to puts the fun in dysfunctional. The jokes were a nicely balanced mix between comedy fit for the entire family and more coarse humor for adults. The carefully designed set successfully captured the creepy essence of the Addams’ mansion and the costumes paid homage to the original characters drawn up by Charles Addams.

Jennifer Fogarty shined as the tortured Wednesday Addams, who must figure out how to pursue her own love life without tearing apart her family. Fogarty’s solos are powerful and moving but still true to character. Dan Olson was a silent delight as Lurch, the undead butler, and Keleen Snowgren was eerily elegant as the matriarch Morticia Addams.

So head over to the Broward Center for an ooky, spooky trip into the world of one of your favorite Sunday cartoon.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...