Edge, Reviews, Theater

The Addams Family brings ghoulish delight to Broward

The Broward Center for Performing Arts is getting a spooky makeover.

“The Addams Family” is playing at Broward from April 15 to 21 and audiences are in for a ghoulish treat. The musical brings to life Morticia, Gomez, Pugsley, Wednesday, Uncle Fester, Lurch and other characters from Charles Addams cartoons, which have also been featured in various TV shows and movies.

In this rendition, daughter Wednesday has fallen in love with a relatively normal boy, Lucas Beineke, and hopes to marry him. She arranges a family dinner between her kooky clan and his and typical Addams family hijinks follow.

“The Addams Family” is by no means a Broadway classic and the story is a predictable romance, but the musical still manages to puts the fun in dysfunctional. The jokes were a nicely balanced mix between comedy fit for the entire family and more coarse humor for adults. The carefully designed set successfully captured the creepy essence of the Addams’ mansion and the costumes paid homage to the original characters drawn up by Charles Addams.

Jennifer Fogarty shined as the tortured Wednesday Addams, who must figure out how to pursue her own love life without tearing apart her family. Fogarty’s solos are powerful and moving but still true to character. Dan Olson was a silent delight as Lurch, the undead butler, and Keleen Snowgren was eerily elegant as the matriarch Morticia Addams.

So head over to the Broward Center for an ooky, spooky trip into the world of one of your favorite Sunday cartoon.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...