Edge, Reviews, Theater

The Addams Family brings ghoulish delight to Broward

The Broward Center for Performing Arts is getting a spooky makeover.

“The Addams Family” is playing at Broward from April 15 to 21 and audiences are in for a ghoulish treat. The musical brings to life Morticia, Gomez, Pugsley, Wednesday, Uncle Fester, Lurch and other characters from Charles Addams cartoons, which have also been featured in various TV shows and movies.

In this rendition, daughter Wednesday has fallen in love with a relatively normal boy, Lucas Beineke, and hopes to marry him. She arranges a family dinner between her kooky clan and his and typical Addams family hijinks follow.

“The Addams Family” is by no means a Broadway classic and the story is a predictable romance, but the musical still manages to puts the fun in dysfunctional. The jokes were a nicely balanced mix between comedy fit for the entire family and more coarse humor for adults. The carefully designed set successfully captured the creepy essence of the Addams’ mansion and the costumes paid homage to the original characters drawn up by Charles Addams.

Jennifer Fogarty shined as the tortured Wednesday Addams, who must figure out how to pursue her own love life without tearing apart her family. Fogarty’s solos are powerful and moving but still true to character. Dan Olson was a silent delight as Lurch, the undead butler, and Keleen Snowgren was eerily elegant as the matriarch Morticia Addams.

So head over to the Broward Center for an ooky, spooky trip into the world of one of your favorite Sunday cartoon.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...