Edge, Reviews, Theater

The Addams Family brings ghoulish delight to Broward

The Broward Center for Performing Arts is getting a spooky makeover.

“The Addams Family” is playing at Broward from April 15 to 21 and audiences are in for a ghoulish treat. The musical brings to life Morticia, Gomez, Pugsley, Wednesday, Uncle Fester, Lurch and other characters from Charles Addams cartoons, which have also been featured in various TV shows and movies.

In this rendition, daughter Wednesday has fallen in love with a relatively normal boy, Lucas Beineke, and hopes to marry him. She arranges a family dinner between her kooky clan and his and typical Addams family hijinks follow.

“The Addams Family” is by no means a Broadway classic and the story is a predictable romance, but the musical still manages to puts the fun in dysfunctional. The jokes were a nicely balanced mix between comedy fit for the entire family and more coarse humor for adults. The carefully designed set successfully captured the creepy essence of the Addams’ mansion and the costumes paid homage to the original characters drawn up by Charles Addams.

Jennifer Fogarty shined as the tortured Wednesday Addams, who must figure out how to pursue her own love life without tearing apart her family. Fogarty’s solos are powerful and moving but still true to character. Dan Olson was a silent delight as Lurch, the undead butler, and Keleen Snowgren was eerily elegant as the matriarch Morticia Addams.

So head over to the Broward Center for an ooky, spooky trip into the world of one of your favorite Sunday cartoon.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...