Staff Editorial 4/15: Innovation leads to success

From grade school to middle school and into high school, students are taught to get ready for college, but not ready for the innovative and rapidly changing world that lies ahead.

Individuals go into college knowing they will all be taking general education requirements – English, mathematics and history – while filling up the rest of the necessary requirements with core classes and electives needed for our majors.

During these moments we’re learning how to memorize facts in order to do well on exams and research papers. However, we’re not learning how to apply our knowledge to real-world scenarios that will help us succeed in the future.

In a recent article published in The New York Times, Harvard education specialist Tony Wagner says that “high-wage, middle-skilled jobs” are no longer available in the job market. Because of this, students need to be taught to be “innovative” and “add value” to everything they do.

“Knowledge is available on every Internet–connected device, what you know matters far less than what you can do with what you know,” Wagner said.

As the world becomes digitized and the answers to questions are readily available on Google, learning how to regurgitate facts does nothing for us. Learning how to take initiative and think creatively is what education needs to be focused on.

It is essential in today’s society for students to be intrinsically motivated to be able to find their purpose and calling. In order to be able to compete against millions of other college graduates, finding your niche is critical.

When you find your specialty – and what truly makes you different – you become irreplaceable to employers. Finding a job is no longer common, but inventing a job is.

“Young people who are intrinsically motivated – curious, persistent, and willing to take risks – will learn new knowledge and skills continuously,” Wagner said. “They will be able to find new opportunities or create their own.”

In order to find your passion, you must first find your purpose. That begins with motivation, not memorization.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...