Staff Editorial 4/15: Innovation leads to success

From grade school to middle school and into high school, students are taught to get ready for college, but not ready for the innovative and rapidly changing world that lies ahead.

Individuals go into college knowing they will all be taking general education requirements – English, mathematics and history – while filling up the rest of the necessary requirements with core classes and electives needed for our majors.

During these moments we’re learning how to memorize facts in order to do well on exams and research papers. However, we’re not learning how to apply our knowledge to real-world scenarios that will help us succeed in the future.

In a recent article published in The New York Times, Harvard education specialist Tony Wagner says that “high-wage, middle-skilled jobs” are no longer available in the job market. Because of this, students need to be taught to be “innovative” and “add value” to everything they do.

“Knowledge is available on every Internet–connected device, what you know matters far less than what you can do with what you know,” Wagner said.

As the world becomes digitized and the answers to questions are readily available on Google, learning how to regurgitate facts does nothing for us. Learning how to take initiative and think creatively is what education needs to be focused on.

It is essential in today’s society for students to be intrinsically motivated to be able to find their purpose and calling. In order to be able to compete against millions of other college graduates, finding your niche is critical.

When you find your specialty – and what truly makes you different – you become irreplaceable to employers. Finding a job is no longer common, but inventing a job is.

“Young people who are intrinsically motivated – curious, persistent, and willing to take risks – will learn new knowledge and skills continuously,” Wagner said. “They will be able to find new opportunities or create their own.”

In order to find your passion, you must first find your purpose. That begins with motivation, not memorization.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...